Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hot Water Heater

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whizkidkyus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi ,

School me on how a 220 volt AC hot water heater works . I know the basics. Mine isn't very old at lest within the last 5 years . About 30 - 40 gallon . Located in root celler below utility room. Both thermostats set on 120. Dual elements. Have to take a speed shower or run out of hot water in less than 5 minutes .Had a bad hot water leak about two months ago leaked for about a week before I could fix it . Tripped breaker . Reset and worked , fixed leak and worked for a few weeks and tripped breaker again . Reset breaker and it works , but as before hot water doesn't last long ,app. 5 minutes . Tested with digital tester a couple of weeks ago . Used all the hot water and went down and tested it as it was reheating. I had ( without going back in cellar to retest , but from memory ) app. 120 vac - 220 vac at the top element and 110 at bottom element . I know that the elements unscrew from them to replace , but do you use a special sockets / wrenchs or just everyday tools ? For what it's worth we are on city water and I'm only in there to bathe and wash hair ,shave and brush teeth . Mom takes a bath and uses hot water to wash clothes three times a week , at least three loads . Hot water used to last longer .Any ideas ? Thanks for any and all help .

Thanks,
Whizkid

ejr-IA.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the wrench I bought one at ace hard ware to fit the big hex nut.Their tough to get out sometimes.Sounds like you have a burned out element.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take 1 wire off the lower element. Be sure to first turn the breaker off. Check the ohms. You should get a pretty low reading if it is good. If your reading is real high most likely the lower element is bad. On most water heaters electric that is it takes a 1-1/2 inch socket to remove the element. Also likely if you have hard water to have a good bit of lime build up and if you do you need to take a shop vac and rig up a pipe on it to suck out a lot of the lime or a new element will not last long.
BTDT to many times over the years

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a big socket in my 3/4 inch drive set that fits mine. Have you checked yours for sure to know that it unscrews? I've had them before that were held in by 4 bolts through a flange.
I changed one about six weeks ago that had a heck of a bunch of lime in the tank. I duct taped a piece of black plastic pipe in the hose on the wet/dry shop vac and sucked as much of it out as I could.

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

said this before, I call it a " water heater " hot water is already hot. Just a pet peeve of mine calling it a hot water heater. Bill

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was going to say something about that but decided not to LOL. But yes it is a water heater not a hot water heater

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't see it as that wacky a term. It IS a type of heater that makes "hot water."

Do you also get upset when someone calls pizza "pizza pie" which means "pie-pie"?

2badlybent
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Follow the directions made on other posts and replace both elements. Sounds like you may have cooked both elements as even one will give you more heated water then the gallon or two you seem to have. If you are on city water the lime build-up will not be as bad as well water and you should have very little crud in the bottom of the tank.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The two heating elements are never supposed to be on at the same time. When all is cold the top comes on first. When the top level of the tank gets hot - the top element shuts off and the lower element comes on. When the entire tank is warm the bottom then shuts off. If the bottom burns out, the tank will still make hot water but not an awful lot.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree check both elements and if you have water that has high mineral deposits like ours here I buy a special element kit from Home Depot they last at least twice as long as the std ones

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have heard of changing elements this way. Never tried it.
Did not watch the video either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyC55h7lhYM

tomNE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we have had a electric heater in our house over 50yrs. they make a special curved element for heaters with lime deposits BUT if you put one in, you need to drain and flush the tank at least once a year. if its down in a hole with no drain; it will be more of a challenge but you should still hook a hose onto the drain nozzle on the heater and let cold water run for an hour. be sure to turn off electricity. mine is on the main floor, so I turn off the water and open the vent on top the tank and drain it dry, then flush it a few times. they do clean out nice. if you have a wash tub to run it into in the cellar, you can get an elec pump and put it into the tub.
only caution I will give is the factory drain valve isn't very high quality. it might be fun to get it to shut completely off. I now change my valve. but never failed to get the factory one shut off but it worried me!
also; I use socket from my 3/4 drive set.

Jeff NWOH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hot water maker?

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Between 9 and 11 ohms on a good element, with both wires detached from it. If there is any conductivity on a 1000 Ohm Scale to the tank from the elment screws it is also toast even if it has the right Ohms across the screws. Jim

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would be very disappointed if that reminder didn"t show up at least once. It"s almost criminal to let it pass by! LOL

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters