Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

change oil according to computer?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unruh
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't want to barge in the oil discussion below, but did find it interesting. I've used Pennzoil for maybe 60 years with no known problem.
My question: I have a 2011 Buick Lucern that will tell me what percentage of oil life I have left. Is it safe to trust it and let it run down to say 5% before I change? I've always changed oil according to the odometer at around 3,000 miles.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3000 miles is probably twice as often as you need to change it, just let the computer do it.

GarrettFields
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Duramax brand new in 2005. I traded it in 2011(worst move I ever made) with 240k on the odometer. I changed the oil by the computer, it worked out to 8 to 10k mi. When I traded there was nothing wrong with truck, no oil consumption, nothing. I would trust the computer.

Ray
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3000 is way to early to change oil.Before fuel injection and computers that is what they recomended.My 2010 Silverado usually changes around 9000.

FBH44
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You know, just thinking about these two recent posts on oil. What the manufacturers are saying, with their computers / timing / amount of time at certain temperatures / RPM"s / speeds, etc, is that the brand of oil doesn"t matter. Any brand you choose must be OK, so long as viscosity index is correct and you change it when they say.

ohiojim
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

used Pennzoil for 60 years with no problems,...I"ve used whatever was cheapest for 46 years and never had an oil related failure, to each his own....

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Friend has a chevy malibu. At 3000 miles 50%, hasn't used any oil. 4000 miles, down 1/2 quart. 5000 miles still a small % like 10-15% on computer, down 1.5 qts, oil looks like tar. I think it only holds 3.5 qts.

Trust the computer if you want.

I'm sticking to the old school 3K rule.

George

Ferd
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as oil, (especially viscosity) follow the manufacturers recommendation. I change oil and filter every 5000 miles. If you wanted to be sure, pull an oil sample at 5000 miles and if that looks good, pull another when the computer tells you to change.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

computer! it monitors engine rpm's and oil temperatures and bases oil changes on those factors. o8 gmc always changed by computer, no problems.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well put,

DaninKansas
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you need to pay attention to is the API service categories include SN, SM, SL and SJ for current car engines. Not all 10W30s are the same.

DaninKansas
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It moniters that - but it doesn't actually monitor the condition of the oil. If your water pump is weeping coolant into your oil pan the computer may say it has 40% left but your engine is full of sludge. You wait until 8000 miles and wonder why your engine is cooked.

Chris(WA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, follow the computers advise. We have a fleet of Chevy vans and do it that way. Seldom if ever have problems due to lubrication.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

going by the computer for suggested oil changes does not mean you do not ever check the oil levels and condition of oil.

omahagreg
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: change oil according to computer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't go by the computer, but Dad has started to do that, with out any problems. We tore a Ford pick up engine down that had used Pennzoil all its life, and we have refused to use that brand ever again! It was absolutely sick what that oil had done in there!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters