Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Spark plug threads twisted off in head

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryNMO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi guys, I know this is a tractor site, but maybe I can get some help with this problem. I've got a 150hp outboard mercury engine that has the spark plug threads twisted (broken off) in the head. It was being installed to specs (torque) when it broke off. Is there a better way other than an easy out, haven't attempted that yet but just looking for other options. Thanks Larry

POPGUN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it recessed and how much do you have to work with? Was it a new plug you were putting in? A photo would help. What is the head made of.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you use an ease out be sure to use a square tapered one and not a spiral one. The spiral ones will just swell the part you are trying to remove and make it harder to get out.

Zane

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must have the wrong specs????

About 10 ft lbs is all a plug needs.

Zane

LarryNMO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Popgun, Yes the broken threads are recessed and about 75% of the threads is in the head. The plugs were older but not ran that much and I was trying to winterize it when it twisted off. My options for photos are not good. I think the head may be aluminum but not pos., will check with magnet tomorrow. The engine is a 1985. Thanks Larry

LarryNMO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zane,I do have a tapered squared one and a round one and thats a good suggestion. Thanks

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depending on how a GOOD easy out may work. I have good ones but bet your not close enough to be able to use them.

LarryNMO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Old, I'm not to close to you, I'm in the Wentzville area. I think you are around the lake ozark area. I think I may have one of the good ones, may try it and see what happens.

ARCO petee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gotta say. I have no idea why they call em easy outs. Break one off and there is no easy way out

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya figured you where not close to me. Yep down here at the lake. The good easy outs are less then 1.5 inches long and cost a good bit. This set I have cost me $75 and that was more then 10 years ago and I have only broken one of them in all that time

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way what engine is that?? I have a Older Johnson 75 that is a parts engine

LarryNMO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a 1985 150hp mercury

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Warming the aluminum head up a BIT will help with the extraction process. A LITTLE heat will make the aluminum expand and let go of the remains of the plug... too MUCH heat will encourage the aluminum to continue to stick to the remains of the plug and tear off of the head/attach itself even tighter to the remains of the sparkplug.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LarryNMO wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:00:28 02/17/14) Hi guys, I know this is a tractor site, but maybe I can get some help with this problem. I've got a 150hp outboard mercury engine that has the spark plug threads twisted (broken off) in the head. It was being installed to specs (torque) when it broke off. Is there a better way other than an easy out, haven't attempted that yet but just looking for other options. Thanks Larry

Worst case there's nuttin to removing the head.. It would be a good time to replace all those rubber oil lines that run everywhere...

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug threads twisted off in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To be fair. most broken ez outs I see are when a person uses one too small. ie. the don't open the hole up sufficiently to use the largest ex out possible, with only a thin shell of the original stuck part in place.

on the flip side.. i also look at the original problem. if it was stuck bad enough that the original whole diameter fastener broke? why gripe if something with a smaller cross section breaks? kinda expected ain't it. Wink ?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters