Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case 730 Engine Seized

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Bodeis
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Case 730 Engine Seized Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After sitting all winter I tried to start my 730 diesel and it will not spin over. Starter engages but cant turn the motor. I drained the oil and there was a fair amount of antifreeze at the bottom of the pan. Im thinking a head may have cracked? Any idea if i can free this thing up or am i looking at a major? Thanks for any help.

Hayrack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Case 730 Engine Seized Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be a cracked head or a blown head gasket. I would pull the injectors and then see if it spins. It could have a cylinder full of antifreeze.

James Bodeis
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Case 730 Engine Seized Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK. I have never worked on one of these. how much of a job is it to pull the injectors?

Hayrack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Case 730 Engine Seized Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its not too bad a job, but not something I would tackle if you don't have the manual or someone experienced to help. From the sound of things, I would bet that your going to at least end up pulling the heads..

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Case 730 Engine Seized Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pulling an injector is not hard on those. Pull the feed and retrurn lines and the 2 nuts that hold them in and they should pry out without too much force. If one is tough it's probly rusty and your problem cylinder.

Hayrack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Case 730 Engine Seized Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in Jon... I was hoping someone with a little more experience than me would add their 2 cents...

James Bodeis
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 730 Engine Seized Reply to specific post Reply with quote

how do you get the return lines off without bending them all to heck? I will be replacing at least one of the tubing nuts after a little frustration got the better of me. Also what is the best way to pry on the injector? i tried getting behind it with a screwdriver but wasnt getting much leverage.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Case 730 Engine Seized Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never found a way without bending them at least little, but it's better if you take them all off from the end and work to the other end. You can turn the T's and then only have to bend them a little. Others with more experience than me may have a better plan tho. I have a bar like the center one in the link that I use. If they are stuck sometimes tapping on them with a small hammer while prying will break them loose. Have you tried to turn it over with a pry bar on the ring gear? I would start there to see if it's actually stuck. If you can't turn it either way, then you know it's stuck and the pan and heads have to come off anyway.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Case 730 Engine Seized Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot the link.
Untitled URL Link

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters