Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Steel roofs, little long

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobcatz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Recently had a new steel roof installed & now I"m trying to figure how to get up to my chimney at the peak to clean it. The pitch isn"t too bad but the roof is very slippery.

I told the installer that I have to get to the chimney to clean, which I do once a month during the heating season. He installed a few snow stops for me to use but it"s not too easy.

How does everyone else do this?

I like the roof otherwise & should last longer than me.
Bobkatz

Xerxes

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tied a ladder too my chimley, works fine.

thdrduck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you have yours blind nailed? I will be having one put on soon as was wondering if that makes a difference.

Greg_Ky
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need a roof ladder.
Poke here

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can walk a steel roof with a 5/12 pitch or less when warm, dry, and with sneakers on, just fine. Otherwise I need a rope to hold on to. That is - unless the roof has exposed screw-heads you can use for traction.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took an old aluminm extension ladder and had brackets made to hold it about 4" off the roof and mounted it permently. Gave me a footing as well as a hand grip. And I do have a problem with any heights of 8' or more. No longer have the chimney.

VaTom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bobcatz wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:13:38 06/24/14)

How does everyone else do this?

I like the roof otherwise & should last longer than me.
Bobkatz

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our cabin is 5/12 pitch, exposed fasteners, and if it's dry it is not a problem with good sneakers. I have run a rope over the roof to a tree behind. If you have to go up there in the winter I would install a permanent ladder.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put the loader bucket up next to the roof, then set a ladder in the loader bucket running up the roof, and crawl up the ladder.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Find yourself a good used aerial truck with a man bucket and use that. There are also trailer models available. Look around online for aerial bucket trucks or trailers. Will cost more than a ladder, but will be a lot safer. It will be money well spent. Don't loan it to anyone; you never know what someone else will do that they might try to hold you liable for.

Bill in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your going to need a roof ladder. I have learned from my steel roof. It was fine traction wise when I installed it but after a week of dust it was slicker than snot even with good shoes on. You can broom the dust off and it helps some. Don't ever try to get up there when its wet. You will be lying on the ground shortly there after.

Cas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One thing to think about is your age. I used to throw a ladder up to the garage. Then, run across to the house roof jump on and go to the chimney.
Now, at 66 years old I am in pretty good shape. But, nothing bends like it used to, I do not have the balance, do not have the strength I used to, etc.
No answers, just some things a lot of us will have to start thinkig about.

Bobcatz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

U guys are great! I knew I'd get a few ideas but I got several.
I'm planning on making my own designed ladder from pressure treated wood, using 2X2 for side rails & 1X3's for steps. How does that sound?
I'm 68 years old & cut & split all my own wood for 43 years!
Thanks!
Bobkatz

Bobcatz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My roof has exposed screw-heads you can use for
traction, but they are spaced at 2' & hard to stay
on. Not as limber as I used to be either!

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel roofs, little long Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dr asked me what I'm allergic to? I told him pain and gravity. Getting on a slippery roof you too may find out about pain and gravity.
Be safe.
George

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters