Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3000 Parking Brake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FordTractorMan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: 3000 Parking Brake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone else had trouble with their 3000 or similar tractor's parking brake not wanting to stay set? When I got this unit running 2 years ago, the parking brake would hold just fine. Recently, though, the pedal wants to jump up when you take your foot off it. I've looked at the pawl and the teeth on it aren't worn smooth, and the teeth on the pedal aren't worn either. Both sets are in good shape, and look like they should against each other. Could the spring in the T handle be getting weak? Feels pretty strong. Any advice appreciated.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 Parking Brake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you crawled underneath and looked at the alignment of the two parts?
You can set the t handle above and then pull the pedal down while you're underneath and watch how it operates.
I had a few of those that the bracket the pawl swings in had been bent a bit. One was bent to one side and another slightly twisted so the pawl did not engage the pedal properly. Your bracket could have been bent fore or aft a bit too.
It's not hard to reach in there with a big locking pliers and tweak it.
One other thing is the step plate could have gotten bent down slightly which will put the pawl out of alignment too. Putting a bottle jack under the brackets and pushing up on them slightly will fix that.
This is a 4000 so the bracket is a little longer than yours but they work the same.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 Parking Brake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On mine the teeth weren't lining up very well because there was a lot of play of the pawl on its shaft. It would catch some of the time and not at other times. I don't know the cause of the excess play, whether it was wear over time on the parts or if something was bent, but I solved mine by adding a thick washer on the shaft to stop the sliding of the pawl on the shaft. I can't remember if I had to put the washer on the back side behind the pawl or on the front side but if you get down there and look you should see what's not lining up and in which direction something needs to move to line things up properly.

peachhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3000 Parking Brake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice thread, I appreciate the picture. Working on mine and I could not get it quite lined up so that it would not be engaged all the time. Anyway will get on that this weekend hopefully and get it all straight. Got sidetracked by other issues.

Ultradog, been meaning to tell you the parts are great, just what I needed!

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 Parking Brake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just worked mine over somewhat. The teeth were worn down somewhat and sharpening them up helped. My step plate moves so if I set the brake and put my foot down to get off it will pop the lock. So with the sharpening of the mating teeth and staying off the plate when engaged with a little lube, it works fair enough for now.

Mark

peachhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 3000 Parking Brake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got mine working today- I thought I had it right before but I must not have been holding my mouth right. I think maybe I didn't have the bracket as flush up against the step as it could go because it was hanging up every time I put on brakes. Took it off, did it again and it works fine. Also realized that I didn't need to stomp on the brakes, just a little bit is fine and actually works better that way.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 3000 Parking Brake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad you got it working. They're pretty simple really.
I got your check too.
Thanks.
Haven't deposited it yet but I dropped it on the floor and it didn't bounce so I took that as a good sign. Smile
The tractor those parts were off came from Kansas so they made quite a trip before ending up on your tractor.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters