Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Slow Moveing Vehicles

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Early B
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My neighbor has a small "hobby farm" he works part time. He has an older Jeep he uses around his place that insted of getting farm use registration & plates, he just hung a orange triangle on the back of it. He does use it on the roads but just around the farm, he doesnt go into town w/it. Is that ok to do? I thought SMV's where for actual slow moveing vehicles ? Are the "fast tractors" in the post below that are traveling near high way speeds still required to have one ?

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im a little foggy (normal occurance) about what the maximum speed is for a SMV sign but i think it's in the 25-30 MPH range. Farmers, including me, will pull a wagon with an SMV sign 40 MPH or higher behind a pickup illegaly but i have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it.

wilson ind
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If he has liability ins for the time on public roads the possibility of a fine would maybe be much cheaper than registration and license fees. Years ago my dad did not obtain license for the grain trucks only traveling a few miles to local elevators. Over weight fines were two or four cents a lb. No plate fine was 18.75. never did get caught. What bothers me most is slow moving drive way markers. When traveling strange roads at night I have slammed on the brakes comming around a curve thinking a piece of farm equipment was on the road only to find some bloke (term used from B&Ds post) had nailed SMV signs on post. Why cops do not ticket for missus of smv is mystery yo me as its unsafe.

Tony in SD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive always thought that the SMV signs were dumb. And as modern machinery gets bigger and bigger I as others see the equipment way before i see the little SMV sign. That said, I know a farmer that in the 70s was fined because he had no SMV sign on a hay stack on a tractor pulled stack mover. Im wondering if he had a SMV sign, if the driver of the car would have still run in to him. Bottom line your buddy probably won't get a ticket unless he is involved in an accident.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are asking the wrong question.
A SMV sign is for warning that you are approaching a slow moving vehicle.
That could be a tractor; a construction backhoe; a horse and buggy; or even a golf cart.

The real question is Does your state allow this Jeep to be called a "implement of husbandry" exempting it from plates.
Since your state has farm use registration & plates I would think not.

But he could possibly put a farm use plate AND a SMV sign on it to warn that it is moving slow.

jim castleman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No farm liability coverage on a vehicle that needs a license plate.

Badger bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper your right, here in IA its 30 mph. but I see big straight trucks pulling 600 bu wagons to the ethanol plants doing 55+ all day long. but the d.o.t. wont stop them. but thay did give a gut a tickt for having 3 5 gal buckits in the back of his truck that were not tyed down. and one trucker for not having the caps on his valve stems. you just have to love the government. Bob

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've read on here, and heard it said locally, that you can be ticketed for hauling an implement at highway speeds if it has a visible SMV emblem on it. Makes sense to me, for the same reason the other poster mentioned about SMV driveway markers.

Around here, you're begging for a ticket if you drive an unlicensed Jeep on any public road.

North Vale - PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

very good point, I actually never thought about it. Many used on driveways around here.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Basicly if he runs it on the public roads at all he needs plates/ins. However,lots of farm vehicles run around unliscened.That doesnt make it legal or 'right'....Your friend will get away with it till he gets caught,or there is an accident(they happen),or someone borrows the car.SMVs are not legal for unliscenced/liscenced vehicles.Check with local laws.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where I live, all vehicles have to have insurance and tags which includes a county tax. Off road vehicles atv and utv's have to be registered with BMV, another tax. I also insure my utv.

IDEM, also requires all farm tractors, trucks, cars, equipment with an engine like combines to be in working condition and not sit around with weeds and trees growing in them. If not in use IDEM thinks they can leak fluids and cause an issue.

Some may get buy without tags, but where I live in Indiana, using a jeep will require a plate and insurance. They don't care if it's farm use.

old popper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, it has been several years now, but a farmer was pulling a gravity wagon to the elevator south of Cherokee, with his pickup, when he was stopped by a new (female) State Trooper. Ticketed for no SMV. After unloading, he went to Bomgaars and bought the SMV and put it on the wagon. On the way home, she stopped him and ticketed him again for going too fast with the SMV. Gotta love their enforcement policies.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in Wyoming are SMV laws states them to be on only vehicles that travel less that 30 mph, I see now some tractors move faster than that so I am not sure if they ever altered the law, I know I had been stopped in a 14G CAT blade years ago as I was running 34 mph and a High Po stopped me and told me to remove it

NEKS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was told once years ago it was forty MPH. Kind of like mail boxes. They build a brick mail box statue that's 2ft. by 2ft. next to the pavement, that's no problem. But all county and state road signs have to break over with little damage to vehicle.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Moveing Vehicles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You used to see some SMV signs used as markers in Iowa and Minnesota. Most disappeared about twenty years ago.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters