Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1967 John Deere 4020 light switch wiring.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony730
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: 1967 John Deere 4020 light switch wiring. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 1967 John Deere 4020 diesel that's been converted to a 12 volt negative ground system in the past. I just got the tractor about a month ago. I've noticed some lights not working and I went to replace the light switch ( p/n ar28401 ). I was in a hurry and I didn't ID each wire before I took them off of the old switch. The old switch had 7 spades on it and the new one has only 6 spades on it. Every picture I've found on the internet has a different marking ID on the back of the switch. Mine does not have a BAT A or BAT B. My switch has these markings on it: R2,HD2,TL,HD1,FL, and another that may be B or not marked at all. I have seven wires from the tractor harness to connect to a 6 spaded switch. I've ordered a JD shop manual for this tractor, but I have a feeling it'll be very bland and not answer my question. I thought about asking Agri services who make harnesses for tractors, but I thought Id give this website a try first. The colors of the wires from the harness are: green, yellow, white, blue, black, brown, and red. the tractor has 4 lights for the fenders. I think that the green goes on the HD2 spade and it has a jumper wire from that connector to I think the spade below the resistor looking thing on the switch. I am very surprised that such a popular tractor doesn't have more info available on the internet. Does anyone know how to connect the harness to this switch?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 John Deere 4020 light switch wiring. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AR28401 will only have one battery terminal as it was used on 4020 gasoline & LPG fueled tractors with 12 volt systems

Tony730
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 John Deere 4020 light switch wiring. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thankyou for your help. Ive figured out the parts people set me up with the wrong light
switch. I think I am supposed to have p/n AR28402 light switch which is for a diesel. Do
you have a diagram thatll show that switch and its wire connections?

Aaron S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 John Deere 4020 light switch wiring. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim. I just put a light switch in a 66 4020 Diesel. Mine has been converted to 12volt too. I have a brown wire that I am unsure of where it goes. It comes out of the same harness an appears like it would go to the light switch. Do you know which terminal that goes on? Parts book doesn't list it for lighting?? Thanks

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 John Deere 4020 light switch wiring. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is wiring diagram for AR28402 switch used for 24 volt system. If converted to 12 volts switch should still be wired the same just attach both brown & blue wires at starter to top post on starter solenoid. If you installed a AR28401 or a 12 volt switch other than AR28402 or AR41288 you'll have to attach brown wire to blue wire.

SN>91,000 switch AR41288

Last edited by Tx Jim on Wed May 27, 2015 3:26 am; edited 3 times in total
Aaron S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 John Deere 4020 light switch wiring. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Perfect Jim. I had the wiring diagram from
the parts book but the diagram is very
unclear. Thanks again. Aaron

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters