Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is called.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucky2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is called. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a stand alone engine. looks like a c-60 like would be in a cub. Owner said previous owner pulled it out of a combine. Doesn't seem like it would run any kind of combine. Thinking about selling it because I really am not sure what i'm going to do with it besides store it. I was trying to determine value but can not find any information because I can't remember what they are called. Dad says it might have run a baler or a pump but seemed small even for a baler. Any thoughts as to use and what it is called?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Power unit."

I've got two of 'em (not in very good shape) I was told came of of combines, I dunno, before my time.

That's pretty far off from the 500 to 600 HP engines on big combines now, isn't it!

lucky2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. Are yours c-60s? Yes a cub engine is not blessed with power. They would have come off from something not self propelled. Dad says they had a pull behind combine 42" wide and it worked the snot out of Grandpas John Deere B. A JD B is waaay more tractor than a Cub.

Denny ('60 Lo-Boy)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, they were used on combines and balers as well as other applications. They may look small but you have to remember they were running a 42 inch combine. Shocked

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

50-T baler used the C-60 engine too. The 55-T baler was much higher capacity and used the C-113 from the
A/B/C tractors.

Easy to control feed rates into engine driven implements, just lower engine speed of the tractor pulling
the implement. I learned how to drive the neighbor's WD-45 when I was about 9-10 years old pulling a 55-T
with the engine drive. Had to learn how to drive and rake hay all over again when the neighbor bought a
#37 PTO driven baler.

AJB-830
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, Yes they came off of combines. My dad had an IH 64 combine that had the C60 engine on it. I think it was about a 1958 model. My dad put a starter on it as he didn't like cranking it. Al

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are forgetting the Cub just ran the combine not pull it also

True Son
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad had an IH 64 Combine but it had the 113 A or C engine in it. Worked very well.

Owen Aaland
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 64 combine was one of the machines that was available with either engine.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are called "power units". They were used on numerous inplements.Mostly balers and small combines.'Cub' units were marginal
on power. The C113 and C123(A and C tractor) were much better

Hugh McKinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My uncle once broke his arm trying to hand crank a Wisconsin V4 engine on a Deere baler. It kicked back on him.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that must of been a 62 IHC combine, a 64 came with a 123, and could manhandle that easy. My dad bought a new one in 53.

47fivewindow
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a cub engine on an irrigation pump. Belt drive.

AJB-830
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No ours was a 64. I still have the combine and the engine. I believe some of the later 64 combines did have an "A" engine or the 123. Not sure what year our 64 was built as I think my dad bought it used around 1958. I still have the operator's manual and will check what engine is listed. I believe when the IH 76 combine came out that replaced the 64, they all had the 123. Al

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: CRS...I cant remember what a stand alone engine is calle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I am correct the CUB engine is a C-60 so it is even littler. Around 10hp unless you have a very late production like my 1977 tractor that is supposed to have 15hp.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters