Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

ford tractors

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rat0851
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Forum members, I purchased a ford tractor with the loader and believe it is a 4400 model. when I look up the 4500 and 4400 to compare I do not see the differences . can anyone on her enlighten me on this ? thanks

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 4400 and 4500 are quite similar and use
the same basic chassis.
The most obvious difference between them
is the 4500 is an Industrial model and had
a "hard nose" meaning it has a heavy
guage, flat front radiator shroud. 4400
used the lighter sheet metal nose like the
ag model Fords.
Also, the 4500 used a significantly
heavier front axle than a 4400.
The engine, transmission and rear ends in
both tractors are the same.
The first photo shows a 4500. Second one
is a 4400.

rat0851
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the simple explanation and the two pictures. that decided it for me. I bought the industrial 4500 tractor and loader.

rat0851
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the serial # from the right side next to starter, but do not know how to read it. here it is 9104B at top and under that C245095
Can you figure it out ? Thanks Randal

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

C245095 is a 1969 serial number.

9104B is not a valid date code. If it was a date code then the second character would be a letter, not a numeral. Also, since they did not use the letter I for the month, that 1 in the second position wouldn't be an I either, so if it is really a J, then it would be 9J04B, which would be September 4, 1969 during the day shift.

It may be an option code for the transmission. If it is then it will remain a mystery, as no one that I know of has ever explained what they mean.

rat0851
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks . I think it is a 1969 and I will look closer to see if the 1 is a J or not. will post more wed.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Apparently that tractors had the front grill steel and oil tank swapped for a newer style.
Canister oil filter dates the engine to before 11/69 but according to parts listing the grill shell with the round access cover on the left side wasn't available until 2/71.
My 4500 was built 11/68 and uses the square louvered access panels on both sides.

rat0851
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

checked the # again and it is 9H04B

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rat0851 wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:11:05 03/06/19) checked the # again and it is 9H04B

That would be an August 4, 1969 date code.

rat0851
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate your help. May ask for more help when I start work on her. Randal

rat0851
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are there any # locations that positively identify it as a 4500 ford or not. I noticed that the 3550 has the same heavy front end , flat plate at top in front of radiator ?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look on the bell housing - just above
and behind the starter.
See photo.
There should be 3 lines of code hand
stamped into the flat spot there.
You may have to clean/scrape/brush or
chaulk to read them.
Post those and someone here can decipher
them for you.
As for whether it's a 3550 or 4500;
Yes they used the same bolster but the
power steering was different.
A 4500 and 4400 had the PS cylinder in
the bolster under the radiator.
A 3500 and 3550 had external power
assist.
Look at the heavy steering arm attached
to the left side of the front axle on
the yellow tractor.
And look at the side arm steering
cylinder on the blue tractor.
Together that is the configuration a
3500 and 3550 had.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3550 production didn't begin until 72, your tractor is a 69.

Looking at your photo!
4500 has that oil tank made into the shell, parts look up shows a 3500 doesn't have the oil tank
4500 air cleaner access plate is on the left, 3500's is on the right.
I see power steering lines going down to the cylinder in the front bolster.
4500 uses this type of steering, 3500 does not.

There's another set of numbers in the same location as the ones you found, may be farther back in the unmachined area.

The model numbers for my 4500 are D5011K
D50 = 4500
1 = diesel engine
1= no pto
K = 6x4 manual reversing trans

Your's should have the same D50
Your looks to be diesel so should have the 1
Don't see a pto lever on the left side under the seat so another 1
D5011?
The last letter depends on the tractors trans option.

rat0851
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am very impressed with the knowledge everyone has on these tractors. thanks , I will look for more # s and post later.

rat0851
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ford tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine is D5011K also. No PTO either.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters