Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis Chalmers 1951 WD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StaviTheGreat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1951 Allis Chalmers WD. When you throw the hand clutch, the tractor keeps right on going unless you stand on the brakes. When you release the brakes, it takes off again. When you throw the hand clutch, it has decent "snap" but does nothing. Is the hand clutch out of adjustment? And if it is, how do you get to that particular clutch and how do you adjust it. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To get to the clutch, remove the battery box. Clutch cover is under that. There are brass shims in three locations around the clutch. Loosen (don"t remove) the two bolts that hold each shim pack in place. Sounds like you need to add shims. Should have the same number of shims in each location. Usually when the clutch doesn"t snap clearly, you need to remove shims. Check that the linkages at all three locations are good- pins not worn excessively, throwout bearing yoke not broken. If it is, the tractor needs to be split to replace the yoke. I&T AC-11 is the service manual for that tractor.

StaviTheGreat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thx a lot. I will report my findings when I get a chance to open it up. It is pretty low on my list of things to do, but I hope to take a look at it this summer.

4wdtom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thick oil will keep the hand clutch from completely releasing, You can put in 20 weight non
detergent or maybe "tractor lube" that might be thinner. As the oil gets warm from running the
tractor and working or a half hour or more it may get better. You have more of a problem than this,
and probably as has been said need to add shims. The snap into lockup doesn't need to be too strong
not to slip, you may need to experiment.

StaviTheGreat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any way to test or find out what thickness of oil is in it currently? I have no clue when the last time the oil was changed if that would affect it at all.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hand clutch "creeping" has been a very normal and expected operating quirk of the oil bathed clutch since 1948. Too many people think there's something wrong with the clutch, when in reality, that's just the way it is. Hook the tractor to a load....a plow or disc and when you release the hand clutch, I'll bet it stops just fine. Warm oil makes a huge difference in the clutch not creeping. Get over it. You might wind up looking for the needle-in-the-haystack and there's no needle to be found.

4wdtom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gear oil, (80-90) has that special smell, one way to tell. While you are think gear oil when was
the last time the final drive gear oil was changed, many seem to forget about these.

StaviTheGreat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know the last time any fluids where changed. I just inherited the tractor from my grandfather a couple of months ago.

tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the clutch is rusty and sticking.
My 45 diesel is now retired except for parades. Parades are the
only time I use the hand clutch. The first time I throw the lever
forwards I have to step on the brakes to get the clutch to
release. After that my tractor will not creep forward in the
parade line up unless I'm on uneven ground.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers 1951 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I doubt that you have any Parades that the outdoor temps are below 60 or 70 degrees. If you're brave enough some day, fire up that old diesel on a day when it's 20 degrees outside and tell me how your hand clutch still doesn't creep. I'm just sayin.....temps and oil viscosity make a big difference, as does the 2 disc design (older models) and 3-disc design (later models).

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters