Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

201 Diesel exhaust manifold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rustytractorguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: 201 Diesel exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quick question, well 2 questions.

1) Those goofy little lock tab washers listed on the CNH parts site for the exhaust manifold bolts, does anyone use those or is there a more cost effective option. The dealer wants $2.15/ea. Not a lot of cash but if a regular lock washer works well then the cash is better off in my pocket.

2) What would be a good way to remove the exhaust manifold bolts without breaking them off? I haven't tried yet but I don't want to make a chore out of it if at all avoidable.

Thanks

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 201 Diesel exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The manifold bolts get really come out of
the head quite easily. I've had a couple
that the heads were so corroded away that a
wrench wouldn't fit on them anymore so I cut
them off with a grinder. But the bolts
always unscrewed from the head with no
problem.
As for the lock washers, wow I wish I could
get those kind of prices.
Just put ordinary lock washers on and forget
about them.

Rustytractorguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: 201 Diesel exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise! I hope my bolts too come out easily, when I get around to it.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 201 Diesel exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

agree with UD.

generic lock washers fine.

as for the head and bolts /studs.

remember.. the head is soft.. studs or bolts were probably grade 5-8

hit them with penetrant, use a drift and give a smack square on the head with a drilling hammer.

they should come off.

if they act stuck, don't use a long hard pull with a breaker bar, but instead use an impact wrench.. set it soft and let it hammer lightly, then gradually turn the air up. Sometimes you can tighten a second, spray more penetrant, then loosen.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 201 Diesel exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always use the exhaust bolt lock tabs.... but then again, I always buy the full upper gasket sets which are about the same money as buying
a couple gaskets individually... and the locks are in the set.

Rod

Rustytractorguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 201 Diesel exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you anti-seize on reinstall? I'd venture to say yes.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters