Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Corn Picker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KY AC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Corn Picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anybody have experience with the 33 mounted picker? I have picker experience just not with the Allis Chalmers 33 .

russ1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Corn Picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are more of a snapper than a picker. They leave lots of husks on the ear.

KY AC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Corn Picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What are they worth? I know all pickers struggle today with high yields but I plant lower populations where I pick.

X-Y switch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Corn Picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the 33 mounted over the axel ? We had the old one that was mounted under the tractor (a WC with no live power) and it was a stop and go operation because it had very little capacity and clearance under the rollers. Many times we would have to shift the transmission to neutral and let the picker clean its self out. I remember driving my neighbor's M Farmall with a 2ME picker and was so impressed because you could pick corn all day and never have to stop and let it clear its self out.

MMDan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Corn Picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First 2-row picker Dad had was the one just before the 33 which was very similar. He bought it and a 1941 WC in the mid 50's and we used it until the late 60's. Contrary to the comments on one of the other forums, it was pretty easy and quick to mount. We left the elevator attached to the guts of the picker. Switched the rear wheels to opposite sides of the tractor (tread would be reversed) attached a few brackets and backed over the picker and hooked up the drive. Then attached the front snout and the side snouts. We never used the cleaning blowers. As far as capacity went, not great but got the job done. All the little WC wanted in 1st gear. Shucking was not great when compared to a 227 or 237 JD but was adequate. We did have the Huskee shucking roll from TSC on it (segmented rubber) and they made a tremendous difference. Corn was planted at no more than 18000 and was yielding 100-120 bpa. We never picked very wet. Not much ground clearance and front wheels would plug if muddy but like I said earlier, not a bad picker.

KY AC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Corn Picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the back over picker. From what I understand the 33 had many improvements over the earlier picker as far as capacity.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Corn Picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

our neighbor had 1 he left on a WD. It always left a lot of shucks on the ears. If you don't mind those it will work ok for you. In 1959 dad bought a new D17 with a mounted 17 picker. It picked a lot cleaner load of corn. At the rate you are going to plant it should be ok.

tim52160
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Corn Picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never heard of the Huskee shucking roll.Didnt know how old TCS was.I just heard of them around here from the 70s on.I knew there used to be a lot of neat stuff for the farm in old sears and other catalogues. but didnt know tsc had anything that serious. I remember when they had wagons,big sprayers and PTO feed wagons.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters