Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Motor oil choice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggy97
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What motor oil do you guys prefer for a 1943 model C? Weight? Detergent or non ?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run the same thing in every thing I have other them my JD-B I use O'Reilly's brand 20W-50. Do not know for sure any more but at one time that oil was the same as Valvoline but been told be a couple people on here that is no longer so

mattwillson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything clean wet and slippery is fine. For the old stuff 15w40 is a good option. Unless it's an IH gaspot which requires low ash 30 so the valves don't burn up....anything slippery is fine

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run 10w30 in everything. If it hasn't been apart in a while, you might want to stay non detergent. The detergent stuff can clean the block and send the crap through the bearings.
AaronSEIA

RalphWD45
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 15-40 in most things, as I buy the Dello400, for the diesels, and we rarely get down to 20 deg here on the left coast. I like the 5 gallon cans, for a little better price.

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you know nothing about the past motor maintence,
I believe I would go with 30 weight non detergent oil, that is the oil that was used back in the day,

Some of the new detergent oils have great cleaning packages, will start cleaning out the built up sludge in the old engine and run it through your oil passages stopping them up, ruining your engine,

After you run the engine a few weeks, you might change the oil again, note how black the oil is,
After the second oil change I would just drive it and change it again next year,

Just my two cents!

Always have the engine at operating temperature
when you drain the oil,

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Using non detergent oil in any engine should be considered abuse.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree WGM, but the good thing the newer fuels burn cleaner !

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Using non detergent in a dirty engine is asking for an overhaul. If you don't know how much gunk is built up in it over the years, you will soon find out when the non detergent cleans the block and sends it through the crank bearings. If the engine is clean inside, then I would agree.
AaronSEIA

NEKS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the 80's talked to a major oil company rep. and he said that non-detergent oil should not even be sold anymore. I have to agree with wgm.

thdrduck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wgm wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:31:59 04/23/16) Using non detergent oil in any engine should be considered abuse.
Agreed. I would pull the plug, let her drain over night, replace the plug, remove the spark plugs and dump 1 gallon of diesel fuel in the crank. Put it in high gear and tow it around for a bit, drain, refill and repeat until the diesel comes out clean then change the filter and fill with your favorite multi grade oil. Seems to remove 70, 80 or 90 years worth of sludge without hurting anything. I'm sure it's wrong... but it works for me.

Mark - IN.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor oil choice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd be very careful about that. I picked up an old B back about 2004 and used it only for mowing with a Wood belly. Not knowing its history, changed the oil every year and used straight 40 non-detergent because although clean inside are nice, I'm assuming might have been non-detergent its whole life. A couple, maybe three years ago I took a chance and moved to straight 40 detergent, changed every year, all looked OK. When I get home this weekend, I start its rebuild. For years and years and years, never had a problem. A couple few years ago, made the change and it might be a coincidence, but the whole rebuild kit and shipping from here at YT to my home, a little over $600. When I get done I hope I did it justice after maybe having done it an injustice. May as well look at a clutch while I'm in there.

Good luck, be careful.

Mark

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters