Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall A won't start.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1946 farmall A won't start. Compression is good, getting fuel, not flooding, timing is good, and the spark checker sparks. It has a electronic ignition kit. When I start it, it seems to fire once and not fire again. I heard that GM ignition modules when they fail sometimes still work right when cool, but stop working once they heat up. I wonder if my Pertronix module is experiencing a similar failure, fires a couple of times and fails? Also heard a failing ignition can still fire a spark checker, especially with a higher volt coil like the Flamethrower coils.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nothing like points and condenser.you can have the worst set of points and as long as you have a gap and clean contacts , u can always get the engine running. with electronic ignition u are done when it quites working.
yes the G M modules used to quite when hot and once cooled down would still run. you also had to make sure you had the heat silicone applied under it to transfer the heat away.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spark checker is only good for those who do not know how to really check for a good spark. Only spark checker i have ever used was hold the plug wire close to the engine block about a 1/4 inch off. You should get a nice blue/white spark that jumps a 1/4 inch gap. NOTHING beats that way and no spark checker will tell you how good the spark is all they do is tell you that you have a spark be it good or bad just that you have it

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why the electronic stuff put the original mag back on and go my mower engine i built 20yrs ago used a mag i had cleaned up ect it has ran all that time starts eery time they just work 60pluss yrs old and still will provide many more yrs of service. Some think they need the new fangled stuff then have problems this modern electric stuff does not always solve the problem. Are the bushings good in your dist good ect. When you put the dist on the bench hooked to a batt and wire going to all 4 plugs does it fire good. You can drive it with a var batt drill and check in all rpms if it passed all tests it should work on the engine.

Mr. Farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This tractor has always had a IH distributor on it, which as far as I know is factory original. I don't think it was ever a mag tractor as it is a late A.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All FARMALL As came with a mag dists were never factory on the A.

MNGB
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you double checked that the plug wire are in the right order, if you have spark and all else then it could be the dist cap wires are off by a hole or 2
GB in MN

MNGB
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-gene bender wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:30:18 05/08/16) All FARMALL As came with a mag dists were never factory on the A.

While this is true there was how ever a factory/dealer package to change to battery ignition PN 353938 R91
GB in MN

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes that would have been in around 49 long after the A went out of production. Mags still were available till in the 50s

Mr. Farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well it had a distributor when my Dad bought it back in 1990 and it wasn't new looking then. If it was swapped it was done a very long time ago and the mag is long since gone with whatever the previous owner did with it. This A has factory electric start, generator (replaced with GM alternator by me), and lights. I always been told distributors were an option by 46.

A rebuilt mag would cost more than 4 electronic kits, and I don’t have a old mag for a core exchange rebate as it was long gone before my family got the tractor.

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mr. Farmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:07:25 05/08/16)
. . . I always been told distributors were an option by 46. . . .
'46 is simply wrong. The A never came with battery ignition. It wasn't available for the Super A until at least mid-1950.

This is, of course, irrelevant to your current problem. Follow up on the suggestions already given.

Mr. Farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MNGB wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:46:42 05/08/16) Have you double checked that the plug wire are in the right order, if you have spark and all else then it could be the dist cap wires are off by a hole or 2
GB in MN

I checked the wires ad they are in the correct timing order, 1-3-4-2.

Mr. Farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I guess the two options for me are either revert the IH distributor back to points or buy other Pertronix kit as generally electronic ignitions are vary reliable. Perhaps aftermarket electronic ignition isn't quite as reliable as OEM systems in cars. A mag swap, especially with having to eat a core charge isn't an option due to high expense. That is besides my unfamiliarity with mags and bad experiences with them on lawn mower engines.

Buddy Woodson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always carry a spare engine with me!! Seriously,
you can buy a good used mag for around $100 with
no core. I would just put points back in your
distributor and go . Either will last a lifetime with
only minimal maintenance.

MNGB
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters