Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Possible bad fuel gauge sending unit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom in TN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Possible bad fuel gauge sending unit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1973 Ford 2000, 3 cylinder gas tractor. The fuel gauge doesn't work. I recently replaced the instrument cluster, and the fuel gauge still shows empty even with gas in the tank. While I had the old cluster out, I checked the resistance of the fuel sending unit. It shows that the sending unit rheostat (or potentiometer whichever it has) is open. I'd like to replace the sending unit, but I don't want to have to remove the steering wheel and pull the rear section of the hood assembly.

Is it possible to remove the sending unit through the hole for the instrument cluster without removing the rear hood assembly?

If necessary, I can remove the steering wheel and the rear hood, but I'd like to avoid doing so if possible.

What do you think? Can I get the sending unit out through the hole where the instrument cluster mounts?

My Service Manual doesn't address the fuel sending unit at all, except to show it on the wiring diagram.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom in TN

RickB
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible bad fuel gauge sending unit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The fuel sender can be changed through the proof meter mount hole.
No need to pull the steering wheel or remove the cowl.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters