Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 2600 Fuel Injection Pump (Varnished?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John949
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Ford 2600 Fuel Injection Pump (Varnished?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a Ford 2600 Diesel that was running fine when I parked it about 3 months ago. When I went to use it, it wouldn't start. I didn't have fuel flow to the injection pump, so I drained the fuel (Smelled varnished like old gasoline does), cleaned the tank screen and replaced the fuel filter. I now have great fuel supply to the injection pump but nothing is getting through to the injectors. Anything else to try before I pull the pump and send it to the rebuild shop? Since it was running well when I parked it, I'm hoping the problem is something sticking rather than broken parts. Thanks, John

Deutz Lover
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 Fuel Injection Pump (Varnished?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, Does your Ford have a rotary pump or an Simms inline pump?

Have you loosened the tube nuts exiting the pump to see if diesel would pump out of each tube before you loosened the tube nuts at the injectors to do the same?

thepumpguysc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 Fuel Injection Pump (Varnished?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your probably right.. Metering valve and or pumping plungers are probably stuck.. [CAV pump}
Nothing you can do about the pumping plungers that doesn't require a pump disassembly but you can try to loosen the MV.. Lots of videos on it..
It just depends on how valueable your time is.. Most folks on this site send them to>
Dieseltech..
IF your going to remove the pump.. REMOVE the injectors too.!!!
If the pump is varnished to the point it stuck everything.. the injectors are stuck too..
and if/when you get the pump pumping.. and the hi pressure has no relief thru the injectors.. it backs up and seizes the pump.. THEN your stuck w/ a hi dollar door stop.. Hope this helps. TPG

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 Fuel Injection Pump (Varnished?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Internal parts like the metering valve, plungers, regulating piston will all be stuck over time if there's ever been water in the fuel system. Biodiesel will stick the parts also if the concentration is really high and engine sets for long periods of time unused. As mentioned, hope the pump hydraulic head-rotor has not seized, those are not cheap..

DGinVT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 Fuel Injection Pump (Varnished?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have not done it go thru the process of bleeding the entire system. My 2600 sits all winter long in the barn and always starts up in the spring. From time to time I also run the engine. Mixed into the diesel fuel is a small amount of"stanadyne" fuel conditioner.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 Fuel Injection Pump (Varnished?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most likely the metering valve is just stuck... You can try freeing that up by removing the pump cover, taking careful note of the spring locations... then remove the rotary valve that the governor spring is hooked to. It will probably be rusted...

Rod

John949
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 Fuel Injection Pump (Varnished?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a CAV rotary pump. I removed one line at the pump and was not getting fuel out of the pump.

John949
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 Fuel Injection Pump (Varnished?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure did. Thanks!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters