Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Seat Bracket attachment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusmerritt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Seat Bracket attachment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford 2000; 3 cyl. gas; 4/1 trans....I'm gonna make a multi-purpose, 1/4" thick steel bracket that I'd like to mount using the stud and bolt that hold my seat's spring bracket onto the cover of the lift housing. The bracket will hold my 'slow moving vehicle' sign, a hook to hold up the top link, seat belt connections for when I get my ROPS installed. I think I remember seeing an old post that had some warnings about removing either the bolt (at the front of the seat bracket) or the nut (at the rear of the bracket), both of which I'll need to remove to install the additional bracket. Seems like I remember that removal of one of these resulted in unbolting some component of the lift cover which then required the cover be removed and the part re-attached. Is this correct or can I simply remove both nut and bolt with no consequences? Will I need a longer bolt or stud? Thanks for any input.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Bracket attachment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rear stud is a pin that extends down into the lift top to control plunger travel. I try to take the nut off and leave the stud in place.
The bolt and stud are long enough for a 1/4 plate to be mounted between the lift top and seat, I have a teed bracket on mine for the hyd couplings to mount to, also welded a cat 1 top link pin on top of the bracket behind the seat to hold the removable lift balls, got tired of losing them.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Bracket attachment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's even a little rusted the pin will come of with the nut. No harm as long as you don't disturb the big spring and the rod through it. Just clean up the threads and put it back in.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Bracket attachment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea. I never though to put an SMV bracket there. Really no other good place to mount one.

marcusmerritt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Bracket attachment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, so the bolt at the front of the seat bracket simply is threaded into the lift cover? I could use a longer one in that hole, if necessary?

The stud at the rear...is it under any tension down in the lift chamber or just lives in the spring? Is it an adjustment for the control plunger travel and the rod or just holding those parts in place?

Thanks.

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Bracket attachment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

front bolt is just a bolt.. no harm, no foul..

the rear stud is needed to limit the travel.. and has a special end on it. it simply screws down and its a limit when the top link is compressed IIRC...

if it is missing, top link compression will raise the lift when in position mode.... I seen tractors that everytime the tractor went over a small bump with a shredder, the shredder went to full lift "auto-magically"....

marcusmerritt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Bracket attachment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification sotxbill. Good informations.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Bracket attachment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't go hog wild increasing the length of the front bolt. Only increase its length by the thickness of the plate you're adding. Any longer than the stock amount threading into the hole may bottom it out and crack the casting.

The rear stud/pin may or may not be snug enough in its hole to allow the nut to be removed easily without backing the stud out. If the nut is rusted onto the stud at all, chances are the stud will try to unscrew with the nut. Use a good penetrating oil several times a day for a few days to free it up. You can also increase tension on the pin by turning the yoke on the end of the draft spring. I think turning the yoke clockwise when looking at it from the rear of the tractor will tighten the tension on the pin, but it's been a while since I messed with mine and I'm not 100% sure.

marcusmerritt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Bracket attachment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra information on the bolt and stud. I like the idea of holding the stud with what I assume is the end of the rod. Thanks.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters