Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

wiring problems on Super C

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnarlyce
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had my alternator changed from a three wire to a one wire. I guess I should have left it alone. On the 3-wire setup, there was main post and tabs A & B. B tab wire was a charging wire. A tab wire was sandwiched between two 10 gauge wires that were located on main post of alt. The wires were in rough shape, frayed, broke, etc. I'm 62 years old and i believe my memory is starting to fail a little. I can't remember where they connected under the steering box. My ammeter has a positive post and a negative post. My on/off pull switch also has a pos. & neg. screw connection. Then there's the wires running from the starter push-in button. One runs to the voltage reducer then to pos. side of coil. I'm totally confused right now. The tractor was converted from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt system. Can anyone send me correct wiring instructions? Greatly appreciated from a very unskilled senior. :(

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On a 1 wire set up the charge wire from the alternator goes to the non-load side of the amp gauge. I.E. amp gauge should have one side with more then one wire and one side with just 1 wire and the 1 wire side is the non load side or also battery side and the side with more the one wire should have at least one wire going to the ignition switch

johnarlyce
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so is the positive side of the ammeter the load side. It is marked with a -sign and a +sign? Thanks for your previous reply. Points me in the right direction anyway!

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hook your wire from the alternator to one side of the ammeter,if it discharges,hook it to the other side,problem solved!

johnarlyce
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the tractor quit running about three weeks ago. I'm digging into my wallet weekly trying to figure out what the problem-problems are. Rebuilt starter, new 6-volt coil, new starter push-in button, one side pos.side of battery connects to, the other side cable runs down to starter, points fine, plugs fine, firing order correct, fuse not blown, rebuilt Zenith carb, fresh clean gas. Turns over but won't start. 1951 Super C...

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a - ground system the load side of the amp gauge should be +. Having an alternator says to me you stand a 99.9% chance you have - ground since very few alternators are made for + ground

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Time for some simple trouble shooting

#1 Check that you have a good blue white spark tha twill jump a 1/4 inch gap or more at the center wire of the distributor cap and at all 4 plug wires. No spark or weak spark good chance the points need to be cleaned and or replaced. If you have a good spark go to #2. Pull the carb drain plug and let the gas flow. It should have a good steady flow that will fill a pint jar in under 3 minutes and yes catch it in a pint jar.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the wiring diagram for a Delco 1-wire alternator:

Thing is if you've got spark the alternator wiring is not the reason why your tractor won't run...

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich, don't take this disrespectful or as a personal attack or get your shorts in a wad lol. I appreciate all your help, know you mean well, and all of us make mistakes I sure do mine grrrrrrrrrrrr

HOWEVER ITS MY OPINION with all due respect if its wired as you stated, the ammeter will NOT correctly measure the net (alternator in minus loads out) current INTO (Charging) or OUT OF (Discharging) the battery!!!!!!!

You state "On a 1 wire set up the charge wire from the alternator goes to the non-load side of the amp gauge.
I.E. amp gauge should have one side with more then one wire and one side with just 1 wire and the 1 wire side is the non load side or also battery side"

THE CORRECT ANSWER IN MY OPINION IS The charge wire from the Alternator goes to the LOAD (NOT "non-load")
side of the amp gauge.

For your and others information the correct amp gauge wiring in my opinion (plus wiring diagrams) is:

1) Ammeters charge wire (or BAT terminal if it were a Genny and Voltage Regulator) goes to LOAD (Not battery) side of
gauge and that IS NOT the "non-load side" as you stated.

2) Loads such as an Ignition Switch or lights are fed off the LOAD (not battery) side of an amp gauge

3) Often on many small simple tractors and amp gauges, the amp gauges "battery" or "non-load" terminal has only one
wire, and its a wire that gets to and charges the battery post often wired to where the big battery cable attaches
to a start switch or solenoid

4) The battery side of the amp gauge often has just the one wire (to battery) while the other side, the LOAD side,
often has at least two or more wires, one to alternator or BAT on a VR,,,,, other to lights and Ignition loads.

EXPLANATION If you wired the alternator to the "non load" side of the ammeter as you stated, THE AMMETER WOULDNT BE READING THE ALTERNATORS CHARGING CURRENT as the current is NOT flowing through the ammeter. HOWEVER, if the alternator is wired to the LOAD (non battery) side of the ammeter where lights and ignition loads are wired, the ammeter is correctly reading net current into or out of the battery. THE AMMETER CANT SENSE ALTERNATOR CURRENT IF THE ALTERNATOR IS WIRED EFFECTIVELY DIRECT TO THE BATTERY AND DOESNT PASS THROUGH THE AMMETER

The picture is from Bob M's wiring diagram and is for a simple ammeter (2 wires on LOAD side and 1 wire on Battery "non-load" side) and as I stated the alternators charge wire is equivalent to the BAT terminal on a Voltage Regulator for purposes of where to wire the charging source

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO if you disagree with my or the diagrams wiring that's fine, I respect your opinion and we can agree to disagree no problem, but I still think my ammeter wiring and Bob M's diagram is correct, I wonder how others think it should be wired?????? REMEMBER were talking about the charge wire from an Alternator or the output from a Generator (on VR's BAT terminal) as electrically equivalent for the purposes of where to connect to an ammeter (Load or non-load side) so please don't confuse the issue.

I say the alternators charge wire (or BAT from a VR) wires to the LOAD side of an ammeter BUT HEY IVE BEEN WRONG OFTEN AND MAY BE AGAIN SO NO WARRANTY LOL

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND ALL HERE

Best wishes God Bless and Happy New Year

John T

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with that wiring diagram. In all diagrams I've ever looked at,,,,,,,,,, and all the tractors I worked on (a ton I was a used tractor dealer), the alternators charge wire connects to the LOAD side of the ammeter (NOT the
non-load side). The LOAD side also feeds battery voltage to loads like lights or ignition etc. HOWEVER there's often only one wire over on the non-load battery terminal. If the alternator wired to the non-load battery side of the ammeter it wouldn't read alternator current as its NOT passing through the ammeter.

John T

John T PS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich, Thanks to the fine gentleman above here is another wiring diagram for an alternator this time and it also shows the alternators charge wire connects to the LOAD (NOT non-load) side of the ammeter where LOADS like Lights and Ignition are fed. That's how all the old tractors I worked on were connected and all the diagrams I ever looked at showed, but again each are entitled to their own opinions and no warranty whatsoever I'm right lol Ive been wrong manyyyyyy times and will be again grrrrrrrrr

Hope this helps, take care my friend

John T

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW, these are Bob M's wiring diagrams.

Speaking of which, does anybody have a reliable link for those diagrams these days? I can find some of them on google, but I haven't come across them as a complete set lately.

bass
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:23:42 01/04/17) This is the wiring diagram for a Delco 1-wire alternator:

Thing is if you've got spark the alternator wiring is not the reason why your tractor won't run...

something else that might help. in the above drawing, run the ground wire from the "-" post the one of the bolts that hold the starter on. I did this on my Super C and M and it made all the difference..

bass

johnarlyce
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you talking about the battery neg post to a bolt that holds the starter on? Just wondering. Would it be alright to email you with information I have? John

johnarlyce
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: wiring problems on Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-John T"](reply to post at 12:28:30 01/04/17) this diagram is for a positive ground system. My Super C has been converted from a 6 volt to a 12 volt system. Still can't figure out the problem that is stopping it from starting, even after following everyone's advice. I guess I'll take her to the scrap yard next!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters