Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

F20 throttle linkage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billyboyr66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: F20 throttle linkage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've just put the top end of the f20 back together and it runs beautifully. Starts with a half crank, idles great, and revs smoothly.

My question is with the throttle linkage. My f20 is a 38' and has the throttle linkage on the left side of the gas tank. I'd say there are roughly 10 notches in the linkage bar for throttle adjustment. The first notch (closest to the handle) is idle speed and each notch down the shaft would be more throttle then the last, I get that much but this is how mine works, first notch idle, second notch wide open throttle.
There is a little slop and play in the crossover linkage from the left side throttle bar to the govener rod, but not excessive. I've tried adjusting the govener linkage rod but really the only thing that does is move the notches I use on the throttle linkage up and down. One is still idle speed and the next is wide open throttle.

Is there any way to adjust the govener itself so that such small movements in the throttle linkage don't make such big changes in engine speed?

Ken Christopherson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: F20 throttle linkage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been wondering something similar with my F20 (just resurrected it after approximately 60 years). My throttle acts in a matter which I have 'Idle', 'mid-rangs', and 'Full'. Seems to me you should have at least a mid range. The odd thing is my tractor doesn't come off idle until I get to the middle of the range selector - more of a sudden jump in rpm. Then, it stays there for a few teeth, and will jump to wide open when I get it close to the end of the notches.

I know there were kits (I believe) that were available for a variable-speed governor.. Not sure if they were IH, aftermarket, or if they were developed for the Regular and later installed from the factory on the F20's.. That part I haven't learned yet.

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: F20 throttle linkage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe someone can post paragraphs 68 thru70 out of I-T's manual #IH-2. Sounds like you need to do a full governor adjust procedure. I don't have the equipment to post anything.

NEKS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: F20 throttle linkage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

May I jump in on your thread. Dad had a 36 F-20 and it had the throttle on the right side of the gas tank. I always knew it to work all right. If like plowing dropped the plow and pulled the throttle back it would surge once and then be all right(rev up, slow down half way, rev up and stay there). The question I am asking is I have 36 F-20 and it has the throttle up on the steering wheel post by the timing lever. Why were they not all up there after 36.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: F20 throttle linkage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The F-20 used two throttle linkage that I know of. The color photo is my F 20 with factory linkage and throttle is on left side of tractor. The black and white photo is the up graded linkage with throttle on right side of tractor.

Billyboyr66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: F20 throttle linkage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine matches the red tractor.

AJB-830
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: F20 throttle linkage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also have a 1938 F20 that my dad bought new in 1939. It has the 10 notch throttle on the left side and each notch does advance the RPM slightly all the way up to full throttle. So I would say something is wrong or out of adjustment on yours. But can't give you any advice on adjustment as mine has always worked. I believe the later model F20s came from the factory with what is called the throttle governor that allowed you to use any RPM. Al

36F30
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: F20 throttle linkage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All F20's through the 36 model year came from the factory with a fixed speed governor. The throttle lever on the steering post was there to idle the tractor. On these tractors the governor only functioned in the full throttle position as the throttle lever went to the front of the hood and then down to left of the engine and moved the end of the governor linkage attached to the carb. These tractors were unable to govern lower engine speeds. The fixed speed could be adjusted for belt work/ belt speed by turning the spring housing on the backside of the governor The 37 models came with a variable speed governor and the throttle lever was then moved to the left side of the tank and had the cross over bracket on the front fuel tank support.Only the spark lever remained on the steering post. These tractors governed the engine at all selected speeds. IH also introduced a variable speed field upgrade for the older tractors at this time. The IH upgrade is identified by the addition of a cast pivot arm on the governor top plate. Sears and Many others also sold update kits for these tractors and Heisler sold a kit with a throttle like an M. By the way the lower picture that D Beatty posted is MY 36 F30 with an aftermarket variable speed kit.

Billyboyr66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: F20 throttle linkage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got her all figured out. A little time and tinkering and good as new and works like it should now. The linkage was way out of wack. I still never could find the literature for the setup procedure on the governor but they all pretty much operate the same way. I adjusted it just like I would a Briggs and Stratton and worked like a charm.

I love this old tractor. It puts an ear to ear grin on my face to start it up and drive it around.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters