Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesseholmz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I've posted about this in the past but I'm hoping to have my farmall 656 regular gas appraised. It has an engine knock and we found shavings, the crank is most likely shot. It's been kept indoors ever since. I'm going to have to sell it since I don't foresee myself having it repaired anytime soon. I'm attaching a link to a gallery of photos. Could anyone tell me what they think is a fair worth?
Photo Gallery Link

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scrap iron price. sorry,it's a bit rough to be worth much

jesseholmz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen tractors in way worse condition being used. Aside from the rusted tire it's not in bad condition so I know it's not worth scrap iron price

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looks like a pretty good original tractor. if u have the rest of sheet metal. probably 1K. i would go tops.

Roger Tomfohrde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw one a little worse sell in mn for 700.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Non-running and partially disassembled make it impossible for a potential buyer to evaluate the transmission, hydraulics, clutch, TA, brakes, steering, etc. A buyer will know the engine will need rebuilding ($3,000+ ?) and the rest is completely unknown, a "pig-in-a-poke".

Salvage value does not mean $50 per ton scrap iron price, rather it would be what a salvage yard would pay you for the tractor ($500 to $1,000?).

If you can reassemble it as-is and get it running with the knock and all, a buyer would be able to evaluate the tractor. I think you would add 50 percent over salvage price to the value of the tractor. Don't bother getting a new oil pan gasket, just get it complete, running and moving.

Red Dave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As is? Scrap value.
If you can find a tractor salvage yard, it could be worth more to someone who would part it out.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-jesseholmz wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:49:34 09/29/17) I've seen tractors in way worse condition being used. Aside from the rusted tire it's not in bad condition so I know it's not worth scrap iron price

Yes, but the rotten rim and knocking engine absolutely kills the value.

You're probably best off taking it to a large consignment auction that draws a lot of people. Odds are good that you'll find two fools who will bid each other into the ground to get your tractor.

If you want to sell it outright a little sweat equity will raise the value of the tractor significantly.

1. Put it back together and get it running.
2. Wash the bird poop off.
3. Take off the tire chains.
4. Maybe even replace the bad rim.

If you can get it down to where all that's wrong with it is the engine, you could probably ask $2000 for it and get $1500 in a private sale.

The tire chains are worth more sold separately than with the tractor. Easy $100-$150, as long as you make sure you mention the size tires they fit. On the tractor they are worth 3 cents a pound.

jesseholmz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it even worth selling under the circumstances? Technically it has a small amount of sentimental value but in terms of fixing it, I don't know enough to do it myself and the cost seems like a lot for the tractor

George 3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-jesseholmz wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:49:34 09/29/17) I've seen tractors in way worse condition being used. Aside from the rusted tire it's not in bad condition so I know it's not worth scrap iron price

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here is why it is not worth much. A good recently rebuilt gas 656 Farmall is worth about $5000. I just had a quote to do the engine on my 656 gas before I found out the trouble was the regular gas I was using. After switching to super premium 91 octane gas it runs fine and no issues with it. The quote was for about $5000 without magnafluxing anything or align boring crank, etc. So if I had rebuilt it for $5000 and only got $5000 on a sale the net value of the tractor as is is ZERO. I would do as one person suggested and put it back together with the tinwork intact and get it running. Then you might get a collector give you in the range of $1000 to $1500 for it.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed. For maximum price it needs to be at least running and find back some of the tin. I wouldn't bother with changing the rim unless you have one handy. Then dump it at a consignment auction.

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are you located?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the others, bad rim and bad motor, scrap price, the others you saw working were running. You might want to risk finding replacement motor, rim and sell, but I doubt you will get much more. On the comments of putting back together and selling, I am not much on sticking it to the next guy.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what are you thinking its worth??

jesseholmz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 656 regular gas appraisal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Upstate NY

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters