Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

antique tractor pulling?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colonel1958
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

last weekend I participated in a pull I was not familiar with. Had a nice time,but as the pull went on myself and a couple other pullers were commenting on the actual number of antique stock tractors there actually are.I have a fairly competitive tractor. AsI was pulling I got two good hooks,and was in first gear both times. Then other competitors pass?d me by pulling in second gear. Beat me by a mile.I can tell by the sound of the motor, bigger cubes, and very high rpm. Also tire size, cut tires way bigger tires than stock, the list gjust throwing this out there. Most clubs are 1959 and older, 20% over rpm, 4 mph. One club I used to belong too, moved to 1970 and older. It is getting harder to go too different pull's because people run way over stock, and it is getting discouraging to go too pulls. Competing against olivers with 310"s mm u's with 504's,jd" well over 600 cubes, farmall's with who know's what. What constitutes antique anymore? I asked to run radials and absolutely not.But yet were allowed cut tires? Radials were introduced in th us in 1973. Were in eroupe in the 1950's. I wish if we are allowed to run bigger motor's,biggger tires, cut tires, 20" drawbar, 20% over rpm's, every club would do the same, so when you go too different pull's, the same people don't win time and time again. Just food for thought.

'

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here, "antique " is 59 and older. Most places I pull have the farmstock or super farmstrock limited to 15.5x38 maximum tire size until about 7000lb. You can use "topcut" tires which eliminates the argument on what is road worn and what has been helped. The ultimate equalizer is a 3 to 3.5 mph speed limit. The "hot" tractors can run full cut 18.4x38 but have speed limits of 4, 6, 8, and 12 mph. Just have to put a tractor where it is competitive. Using the speed limits helps prevent an 800ci Moline from running 15 mph against a near stock JD 720 at 2 mph.

535353m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A slow speed limit means nothing without tire size limits and rpm limits.

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A group of us ran a local antique tractor pull here. All tractors, tires, engines weights etc. had to be bone stock field applications. Ticked some pullers off, but we had 70 to 80 tractors every year for 25 years. Ben

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right!! 15.5x38 maximum tire on 3mph; 18.4x38 on 4 thru 12. Same tires, same weight, same speed . Equal chance. Gets down to driver ability.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What were the rules? You said 4mph. Cut tires. What size tire? Everything moves on the tractor that won a few years ago is yesterday's news today. The tractor I am building will have twice the cubic inches it came with. The tractor I am pulling now was a winner 5years ago. Now is just competitive. I wish it wasn't that way but it is. Vic

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our club still pulls stock antique tractors, 1959 and older. NO cut tires of any kind,no radials,tire size limits for every class. Rim diameter must be the same that came on the tractor. 4MPH speed limit.RPM subject to check. 20 in. draw bar height.No locking differentials,etc. We had a pull Saturday,99 Hooks.We enforce the rules,we don't have arguments, we pull for trophies and the fun of it. If someone shows up that don't want to abide by the rules they are asked to leave. Our club was started in 1993 and has been pulling ever since.

danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?m having the same problems . I think an a jd came stock with 12.4 - 38 ..mine has 13.6-38 but every one is winning my classes running 15.5-38 ans16.9 -38 and even 18.4...I cant compete with that. Am looking for some good used 15.5-38 with rims

colonel1958
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Danny, I have a set of Firestone deep treads gum dipped 15.5 by 38 on 9 bolt rims. Might be selling.. not sure yet. Asking $1200. Tires are road worn having 1 inch of bar left, very good shape. Excellent pulling tires.

danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wheels are 8 bolt. On a 1952 John Deere A. With cast wheels.Would that matter as they are 38. I?m in Georgia. Where are you located? I?d probly have drive to pick em up.doubt I could afford shipping

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually a 14.9x 38 puts more rubber on ground and will pull better than a 15.5x38.

Dblair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you pull with the Ottpa club ?

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pulling depends a lot on promoter or hosting club. I have seen rules so restrictive that hardly any tractor on the track was legal. If you were a local it didn't matter. If from out of town and won, you were disqualified. Others had rules but lax or no enforcement. Pretty much an "anything goes" attitude. Then there are the issues of what is stock. Tire size, rim size, overbore, power blocks, replacement carburetor and manifolds, propane heads, cast wheels or steel, etc... Just a few issues we ran into 20 0r so years ago. I much prefer regulating tires, rpm and speed.

danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Someone else said that and can you mount them on the 12 inch rim or do you need a 13

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds like you were not pulling in a stock class.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters