Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fiat 550 3pt lift problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBayFiat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Fiat 550 3pt lift problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This message is a reply to an archived post by Mitch Poindexter on October 30, 2015 at 08:35:34.
The original subject was "Re: Oliver 1365, unhappy 3point".

Hello. I am new a joined to ask a question about my Fiat 550 3pt lift. I searched the interent for weeks and the pic above is the closest I can find to my 3pt.

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/28hpzlt.jpg[/IMG]

The story goes like this. The tractor got flooded in water, so water got in everywhere it shouldnt have. I done the engine over and put 2 lots of new hydro/trans tractor oil in the back end to flush it. The oil in there was a light coffee color, full of water.

Now the 3pt lift will only just lift at full revs. As soon as I throttle off, it drops.

Ive had the relief valve off and check the O ring in there and it is okay. Ive also have that big brass nut off the top that has a spring and a plunger in it and made sure that moves freely.

Still no joy.

Even when it does lift it cant lift any weight ie me.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

BigBayFiat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiat 550 3pt lift problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should add that it appears Ive made things worse trying to resolve the issue. Which may help point the the problem.

I removed the "pilot valve" which I think is the one under that brass cap with "PEL" stamped on it. The plunger under there was sticking. I eventually free'd it up so it turned 360 with my finger as well as managing to take it out and inspect it.

When I reinstalled it the 3pt lift doesn't go up at all.

There is also an "O ring" on the end of the releif valve where it must seat on a flat bearing surface. That O ring appears very flat.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiat 550 3pt lift problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you change the filter or at least clean it if the washable screen?

BigBayFiat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 550 3pt lift problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ArleninOr wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:59:03 12/01/17) Did you change the filter or at least clean it if the washable screen?

Yes. I cleaned it twice. This is the "inline" type filter in the housing below the start motor. About 7" long and 1" diameter.

I havent found any other filters.

BigBayFiat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiat 550 3pt lift problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Update:

Ive had some success. I took the head off the hydro unit and inspected it.

Pictures.

You can see in the pic below there was some corrosion around the spool actuating lever. I free'd this up, it was sticking.

There was also corrosion in the bottom of the pilot valve where it seats. I cleaned that up too. I was thinking of using some valve grindong paste to get it to seat perfect again. Is this neccessary?

Can someone explain what the sensitivity lever does. I have removed it for the photo. Ive taken it all the way in and out.

Finally when I put it all back together it lifted. But NOT as expected. When I pulled the control leverl to the top there was nothing until I lower it down halfway then the 3pt lifted and remained there even when I stood on it.

The control lever got stuck int the topmost position also and I had to tap it with a hammer to get it down again.

So some success and more questions.

Where to from here?

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 550 3pt lift problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you're working on the right thing,I'd use it for awhile if I could to see if it improves,poor valve seat sealing and bad O Rings will cause lots of head aches.The
whole hydraulic units is the same that on all the other Fiat built tractors of that type.Some of those are AC 5050,5040,Oliver 1365,1265,Long 445,460,560.510,610 etc.

Jim in NC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 550 3pt lift problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the sensitivity adjustment controls the speed of the upward movement of the lift arms. I have used it to adjust the responsiveness of the hydraulics on my Long 360 and 445.

Raymondk
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiat 550 3pt lift problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It may help to get a Long 460 Shop manual. I believe yours is identical or at least a derivative, and the shop manual covers the operation and adjustment of the hydraulics in great detail. If yours has the remote hydraulic system, put a pressure gauge on one of the lines then run it and move the remote lever. This will dead head the pump against the output hose with the gauge on it with the relief valve in the circuit and bypassing all of the 3pt controls. It should be around 2250 psi.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Lesser Known Classics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters