Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Lime spreading?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone know someone who can spread lime for me in Livingston County? I know of one place but the fella on the phone had a bad case of white boys disease. Not sure he could be bothered. Have to call me back. Still waiting. Any referral appreciated.

Mark-Ia
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here in Iowa, the local elevator have people to custom spread lime.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Who was it you already called,Crop Production?

Spook
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Van Gilder Farm Services

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well if it is that hard to find someone to do it for you then other option is like what my two friends did They bought a lime truck and they have some of the local guys that still have Coal buckets bring a load back with them when they take a load of coal out to the Toledo area as a return or back haul. John and Bob have a standing order with them and a place with easy access to dump and they build stock piles . at Johns place he had to make a loading pit so he can back the lime truck down into it so the skid steer will reach over the sides , bob has a loader tractor that will reach over the side fine . They did not give much for it and did a few repairs on it , Truck is nothing fancy and a little under powered at times but it does what they want and not much money in it.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lime. Now that's something we don't have to worry about here in western Colorado.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it was Van Gilder. This is one of those jobs I delegate since I am the only one who can run the equipment and repair the equipment, I figure roughly that maybe someone else can talk to peoples voicemail on my behalf. :)

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our elevator does not. We are going to try another elevator further north, but not real hopeful.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't see how that is an option, TV, but I will tell you one thing. It's not hard, it's nigh onto impossible. Same goes with many other services. Just had someone shingle a roof for me...took months to find a contractor who would show up. I finally got a referral from the fella who put up my equipment shed a couple years ago. Guy came about 60 miles and finished the roof in two days. No one in this area was even willing to come give an estimate. Just a couple short years ago, they were stopping by begging me for any work I could throw them...and I did it. Now the same guys won't return phone calls.

RalphWD45
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have a farm store in the area, that does lime?, or maybe a co-op? We have WILCO farm store, here in western Washington, and they sell lime, or spread lime. I would rather work myself, and buy my lime in one ton totes from them, and use an international V box spreader.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No good, Irv. They refer to Fowlerville Ag and that guy...well...has other interests at the moment.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope. I could probably find someone to sell it to me in bulk, but I am not going to spread it. I know guys with seriously impaired breathing from spreading lime, but more important, I do not have the equipment and I ain't a buying anymore equipment. Can't get it all inside now as it is. Well, OK...I would buy a good 1020 flex head if one came down the pike for a good price. :)

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several times I have rented a spreader from my fertilizer supplier. They delivered it loaded with 10 tons, which was enough lime for my small acreage. I pulled it with my big tractor, John Deere D, 44 horsepower without any problems. The last time I limed I had them spread it for me. Cost was very reasonable. I was not aware of any health issues with lime spreading. I'd look for a different supplier, might have to pay a little extra to haul it a distance.

Keith Molden
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our local feed store here in S.E. Ohio sells bulk and will rent you a trailer spreader. Works good for me

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lime spreading? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

geez dave if you were closer i have an old lime buggy at the other farm you could have. needs a little work, but it spread good, cover about 60 ft a pass.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters