Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

7 ton deckover length opinions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 7 ton pull behind deckover trailer to haul my Super MD. I want to stay with a bumper pull trailer. My tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton.

My question is how much deck length should I get to balance my load? I am planning on either a 17' or 19' plus 5' dovetail. Someday I might get something bigger like an 806, so I am trying to factor that into this also.

Thanks,
Dan

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go ahead and get a 20+5, that's a standard size and most dealers will have one in stock.
Then you just load the tractor more to the back over the trailer wheels, I center the rear tires between the trailers axles with the front end adding weight to the hitch, if it a little heavy on the bumper hitch back the tractor up a little more.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never had anyone tell me their trailer was too long, sold more than a few that were longer than the
first one because the first one was too short tho. 20' total will work ok for either tractor, but 20+4
or 5' beaver tail would make a nice trailer. Longer than that and bumper pulls get a little squirly.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing shorter than a 20'+5'. Please consider going with a gooseneck. They pull so much better than a bumper hitch. Pretty much eliminates any of that "tail wagging the dog" stuff.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine is a 20&5. With rubber axles. Pulls
like a dream. Only thing I would change is
I would like a hyd on the back 10 ft.
Ramps are a pain. O its a goose neck also.
I have pulled both. No comparison. Safer
also.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 20' with 5' ramp rice trailer, it is tongue pulled and pulls like a dream.

I prefer a tongue trailer this size because of the versatility and reduced length with no fifth wheel hanging out.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My ramps flip back and make a flat deck if desired.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a PJ low profile deckover 21FT. deck , 3Ft. dovetail with 3 stand up pamps and 32" from top of deck to ground. Trailer pulls nice and Is less top heavy compared to some trailers.

DanMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I wasn't planning on buying a trailer this year, but I came across a good deal on a used trailer and decided to buy this 16+5 bumper pull deckover.

I haven't hauled anything with it yet but noticed it kind of hammers the rear suspension of the truck. I'm curious if the other people with bumper pulls notice the same thing with an empty trailer. I'm guessing I have too much tongue weight with it empty and the axles to the back of the flat deck, but am not sure. It pulls wonderfully other than the bounce.

Thanks,
Dan[/img]

DanMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pull a TT that is the same weight roughly as the flatbed and roughly the same length. It does not feel tongue heavy like this. The axles look like they are forward a couple of feet further on the travel trailer. I'm guessing this is why the flatbed feels heavy on the truck.

DanMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe only a foot further forward. It is in storage, so I can't measure to know for sure.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe try some air bags to take that out.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I own a 20'+5'. If I had it to do over again, I would get a 25'+5'.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The wheels have to be farther back or things would get ugly when loading.
You'll probably need to get a set of load equalizer bars to take soon of the hammering out, if the truck squats much with a load you may need to look into adding some type of overload system.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 7 ton deckover length opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would get under truck and check it out , make sure pin in receiver is snug, and ball in hitch is snug. I pull mine with A K1500 GMC and never get a hammering
effect.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters