Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jCarroll
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Situation with our Club:
Our Treasurer has been treasurer for yearssssssss,
Maybe in the distant past a President was also signatory on the Club's checking account,
but now I'm pretty sure the Treasurer is the only signatory on the account.
We elect a'new VP every year, and the past VP steps into the President's shoes.

Seems an unnecessary "risk" to go on with just one old guy on the account.

How do others handle this? Got any suggestions?

craigco
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At every meeting there is the treasurer report.printed copy of all transactions made. Also the president and vp are added to signature list at the bank when ever there is an officer change.

deeretails
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All our club's checks require two signatures-

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our club has had the same officers for several years, I am VP. Our treasurer is a local businessman. Our club voted a long time ago to let the elected officers take care of the day to day business as they saw fit, unless a major decision needed to be made and then a special meeting would be called. We do not require two signatures because of convenience. His business is 2 blocks from the bank and across the street from the post office. He makes the deposits and pays the bills. He rarely writes a check without calling me and letting me know what it's for and how much. It's all about trust.

Meangreen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was treasurer of our club for several years. Our club was setup so each check requires 2 signatures and the Pres, Vice Pres, Treas & trustee board (previous 3 presidents) all were on the account to sign checks. Even though I had authority to sign I usually never did.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After I'd been president for a couple of years, come to find out, none of the current officers were signatories on the club checking account. Not even the current treasurer! Yet the bank happily cashed our club checks with no issues for years...

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As for what to do about it, if you're an officer of the club you can bring the subject up with the other officers. I'm not sure I'd make it my business as a regular member, though. If you have that much concern about the finances of the club, you really should volunteer yourself as an officer. Otherwise if things go tango-uniform because the treasurer keels over or decides to skate off to a Caribbean island with the club funds, and the club has to fold, all you're really out is your dues.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like once a month I read in our paper about stolen funds by a local government official or some club or organization treasurer. A good rule to have is four eyes on all cash at all times and same for all transactions.
Even if the treasurer is the most honest guy on planet earth having another set of eyes on transactions assures that he cannot be accused of theft or mishandling funds by some disgrunted member. He should welcome it.

1948CaseVAI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:16:10 12/13/17) After I'd been president for a couple of years, come to find out, none of the current officers were signatories on the club checking account. Not even the current treasurer! Yet the bank happily cashed our club checks with no issues for years...

Around Wichita the bank will not even look at the check signature unless the check is at least $1,000 or so. There are too many checks and it would cost too much to look at them all, so they just pay them. It is cheaper to take the occasional loss for the bank than to hire enough folks to look at all signatures.

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The big problem with two signatures is inconvenience. In an office, the second signature is just down the hall, but in a club with everybody working from home, the second signature is miles away. If someone else is looking at the bank statement every month, I'd think the risk is minimal, especially if you've got an honest guy as treasurer. Your bookkeeping system is probably not complex enough for some chiseler to pull a fast one outside the checking account.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know how it's done. But as I read this I am thinking that you might be concerned ( and rightly so ) about just one person because if they kick the bucket no one will be able to access the money.
Sit down with your bankers and ask about this is all I can suggest.

Doug-Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kind of depends on how you are organized and how much $$ you handle. One local club I know could lose it all and not be out 500 bucks. At that point I wouldn't worry about it. The organization I'm an officer on routinely deals in 5 figures, so at that level it is more important to have controls in place. And we are a 501(c)(3) so our biannual state report needs to reflect accepted accounting practices which includes two signatures.

When we grew to that point some worried the existing long time treasurer would be offended to have his honesty questioned by changing to two signatures. There was absolutely no doubt he was 100% accurate, I'd trust him with my billfold. But I met with him privately and simply said this change is as much for your protection as the club's. Who's to say some hacker doesn't get into the account and take money, if you're the only one on it you stand your defense alone. If we have the board on the account, we all stand together. He'd never thought of it that way and welcomed the change.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A CPA needs to look over the books at least once a year.

db4600
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been involved with clubs for 30 years and have seen 2 treasures get axed. In both cases the funds were replaced and the parties expelled. Recently I've seen 2 incidents where people I know have been caught pilfering funds from high school clubs and small town chapters. In both cases the monetary amount was considerable. In both cases the people did not seem to show remorse. If it was me with my face in the paper I think I would crawl in a hole and hide.

The tough one is when club members take donations. We experienced a case where donations were reported to be given by the business, but could not be tracked back to the treasury. It came down to a case of she said/ he said that couldn't be proven either way and created rift in the club and community. Granted most donations are small compared to a club treasury, but a spade is a spade.

During an event or show there are thousands of dollars changing hands at stands, gates, and booths. And we all know that getting volunteers is tough let alone getting all trustworthy volunteers. Whatever the case may be just be aware of a trend or something that looks amiss.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tractor Club Treasurers on here? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In our club(I am a past president) both treasurer and president have signature authority. The checkbook is held by the president.The books are audited yearly by a third disinterested party.There has NEVER been an issue or discrepancy!The books are laid out at each meeting for inspection by any member who wishes to..However,most officers serve multiple one year terms(I served 3 one year terms). We like to say it's a 'life sentence'!LOL

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters