Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was comparing the new clutch plates with
the old ones. The old steel plates have a
definite dish but the new ones do not. Is
this going to be an issue or not?

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been a long time ago at the MF dealer I worked for. If I recall both drive and separator plates should be flat.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dished, or warped steels are junk on just about any kind of "automatic" type transmissions.

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd be interested in how you make out with it. My 205 wants to creep forward all the time and I have to bump the pedal to reverse to shift it. I think the plates are probably warped.

Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to the service manual the originals are dished. It only mentions that the dish of the plates should all face the same direction.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By golly sir, you are RIGHT! I just checked the revers-o-matic book I have, they show to check each disc on a flat surface with the dish UP. The INSIDE clearance should be more than .005 inch, if not replace. New disc is .015-.018, also says on assembly have them all the same direction. Told you it's been a long time! LOL

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting that the originals are dished, I wonder what the reason is behind that idea.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm thinking they had a slight dish to help the clutch apply a bit smoother as the discs flattened out under pressure. Been years since I had one apart.

Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm guessing they may be dished to insure
they fully release when disengaged.

Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya I guess it would probably make for smoother engagement.

Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I guess i will find out how the new plates work when the rest of the parts come in and I can get it back together. Thanks for all your thoughts on this.

Blaze379
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much of a nightmare was getting the trans out? I think my forward seal is bad, leaks hydro fluid a lot.

Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not real easy but not terrible. No worse
than splitting for a regular manual
clutch. Ideally your gonna want a nice
flat slab to do the split on. I didn't
have that so I made a track and trolley
contraption. Your also going to need to
make some guides out of some 6" bolts. Cut
the heads off and round the tip over.
Replace some of the bell housing bolts
with the guide bolts so everything stays
lined up during first four inches of the
spilt. Otherwise it will ruin the pump.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like if the slightly dished plates made it apply a lot smoother, or whatever that they would be using them in cars, and trucks. Still interesting though.

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Any one ever rebuild an instant reverse transmission? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sound like they are heat warped any clutch pack i have worked on the plates are all flat

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters