Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New Idea Hay rake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found an old brochure for New Idea rake with 44 inch rubber tires as option.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a rake just like that sitting out back. Have had it for about 15 years but never used it. Probably should sell it. Have 2 New Holland's so this one isn't needed.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did it have the tires? Only picture of a bicycle tired rake I have ever seen. Where would you get 3 or 4 inch x 44 ?

Charlie M
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got one I use every year but it takes a narrow 36 inch tire. Miller tire has them but a pair is worth way more than the rake is. I've also got basically the same rake on steel wheels. Huge difference when raking. The rubber tired model is a lot more quiet than the steel wheel rake.

rankrank1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-molinegb wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:09:13 12/29/17) Did it have the tires? Only picture of a bicycle tired rake I have ever seen. Where would you get 3 or 4 inch x 44 ?

ME Miller tire in Wauseon, OH likely carries the tire but I am guessing $250 to $300 per tire.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD,MM,Cockshutt used same style of rake. Just never seen tires on one. Poor rake if there is fox holes or uneven ground. Back wheels to small.

rankrank1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or here is a low cost alternative method....for when the price of tires...exceeds the value of the implement

rankrank1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rankrank1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My FIL did the front mod like 30 years ago (I still use this rake) and it worked so well that I did the back wheels myself years or so ago

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haven't looked at it for so long that I can't remember if it had tires or steel wheels. Imagine if it had steel wheels, the daughter would have it in a flower bed.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a No. 44 rake that was built from 1954 to 1958. The parts catalog is dated April 1, 1969. The part Number for the right wheel is 13MEA and left is 14MEA and for 4.00 x 36 tire. In all the rakes I have handled I have never saw one with those wheels. I think they were made by French & Hect, same people that made wheels for tractors and other implements. The previous rake the No. 4 was built from 1948 to 1953. The earlier rake the 3 bar that did not have a number was built from 1934 to 1947. Frames interchange on all of them. The 44 was designed with levers on the toung for tractor use but was still avaible with the frame mount for horse use and same as the 3 bar and 44 as well as the 45G that was a low wheel on rubber rake. A good No. 4 or No. 44 rake on steel will retail from dealer at close to a thousand dollars now. Have a 45-G to rebuild as of now, just finnished a couple of No. 4 rakes and might be taking parts of 2 or more No. 4 rakes to build anouther one. I have a dealer that will take every one I can find and get ready for use. McCormick 4 bar enclosed gear or 3 bar rake-tedder or John Deere 594 4 bar as well. 3 bar New Idea or John Deere are parts rakes mostly but will take good ones of them as well.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rakes that style here end up in boneyard. Only rakes used here are the NH 55,6,7. The rest are scrap iron or a lawn decoration. Haven't seen one used in 30-40 years. Another rake which was common the 36 ft Rowse which is a dump rake. Very few small square balers are even used. Bought a JD 24T in good shape for 10$.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have parts and pieces of 2 old IH rakes that look like that one. I picked up one for parts and used the other one up till the slide gear which takes it out of gear broke and that was also what was wrong with the parts machine. Back when I still use it I worked at a place doing tires and I checked the price back then 30 plus years ago and a tire cost $400 each so I just ran it with the old tires filled with the spray in foam

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are thousands of farms around here within a 200 mile radious that still pull those rakes with horses. The most desired mower is the McCormick No. 7 or No. 9 horse drawn mower and without paint but field ready they retail for in the $1,500 range. The John Deere Big 4 is next in line. Pennsilvania is considered the biggest Amish area but is actually I think third after Ohio and then Indiana. We just cannot find those rakes or mowers anymore.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One other very desireable piece of equipment is the McCormick 449-449A or 450 4 row corn planter with clutch lift. It is a planter that is worth more than the 7000 series Deere that seems to be the most wanted. Only planter made that can be set on 30" rows with clutch lift that you can get parts for. And those New Idea rakes you can get just about any part you need for them new with more parts being brought on market all the time. What area are you in that they are junked like that?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters