Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Starter trouble to30

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtmci84s
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My tractor will not turn over. I removed the starter and tested it using the same battery that's on the tractor, and it spins fine. I put it back on, it will only click. I bypassed the switch, still only clicks. I took the starter to an Amish guy who works on them and he said he sees no problems with it. The tractor has always turned over extremely slow. It's a 54 To30 6v positive ground. The motor seems to be free. I also tried turning it over with the plugs all out, and the starter still only clicks. Any advise?

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"The motor seems to be free" quote

Really need to know for certain if motor is free or not.

gtmci84s
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is free.

Richard L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the wires off and clean the connecting end going to starter. Also clean the metal block & the starter where they meet.

gtmci84s
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Already done.

Also, wouldnt running a cable from the battery directly to the post on the starter with the same results would eliminate the possibility of a bad connection being the issue, on the negative side anyway? I did clean the ground really well with a wire wheel.

CKain(MI)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you measure voltage ? I would connect voltmeter to starter terminal & ground, activate the starter switch, hold it long
enough to see what amount of voltage is at the starter terminal. IF IT IS A FULL 6v , then problem is inside the starter.

miner09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will engine turn over by pulling it? Sounds like something has it lock-up.

gtmci84s
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll check the voltage in the morning. The motor does spin, I put a pipe wrench on the front shaft that spins the hydraulic pump for my Wagner loader, I did a few full rotations.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'd like to get it running so I can get it back in the barn and out of the weather!

Anyone have luck with having these starters rebuilt or should I just buy a new one if that's the problem?

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since the engine pulls through by hand, it is not locked up. The problem being the ground side. You might have too much rust
where the starter mounts to the tractor. Bench test shows fine. Mounted in rust is not so fine.
Just for the fun of it. Run a jumper cable from the main body of the starter to the tractor engine. Basically your just adding an
external ground cable. Now does it spin? Fix it.

gtmci84s
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bruce(OR) wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:00:37 12/29/17) Since the engine pulls through by hand, it is not locked up. The problem being the ground side. You might have too much rust
where the starter mounts to the tractor. Bench test shows fine. Mounted in rust is not so fine.
Just for the fun of it. Run a jumper cable from the main body of the starter to the tractor engine. Basically your just adding an
external ground cable. Now does it spin? Fix it.

I already tried this with the jumper cables. Also already took a wire wheel to the contact where the starter mounts to the tractor. There wasn't any rust, just a film of old oil. It's clean and shiny now.

Ron(Ont)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gtmci84s wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:05:36 12/29/17)
Already done.

Also, wouldnt running a cable from the battery directly to the post on the starter with the same results would eliminate the possibility of a bad connection being the issue, on the negative side anyway? I did clean the ground really well with a wire wheel.

To be clear, you have taken jumpers from the battery, +ve to an engine bolt and -ve to the starter connection, and the starter will not turn over? Is that correct?

Just for fun, have you tried spinning up the starter with a 12 volt battery( even jump from your car)? Do make sure that it is in neutral!! I used to do this all the time, especially in winter.

If you do find it to be a starter problem, get it rebuilt!!

BTW, have you moved the ground strap from the dash to a transmission or engine bolt?

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you one of these gizmos? i use mine alot to start dead tractors.

gtmci84s
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ron(Ont) wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:24:41 12/30/17)
gtmci84s wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:05:36 12/29/17)
Already done.

To be clear, you have taken jumpers from the battery, +ve to an engine bolt and -ve to the starter connection, and the starter will not turn over? Is that correct?

Just for fun, have you tried spinning up the starter with a 12 volt battery( even jump from your car)? Do make sure that it is in neutral!! I used to do this all the time, especially in winter.

If you do find it to be a starter problem, get it rebuilt!!

BTW, have you moved the ground strap from the dash to a transmission or engine bolt?

Yes, that is exactly what I did with the jumper cables. First thing after putting a battery charger on it over night.

I will try jumping it with my truck this morning. Maybe I'll get lucky and the battery is just that weak, it has had a charger on it for a few days though.

I haven't moved any ground straps.

Jumping it with 12 volts won't damage anything?

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as someone once told me the starter does not care. just don't spin it too long.

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when i use my battery pack and after connecting to starter and then connecting to a ground (usually gearshift lever) the battery pack will hum when i get a good connection. then i flip the switch on the pack and away we go.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters