Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

TEA20 Front Spindle Wear

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaesark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well managed to remove spindles from their housing and am now in the dark as to the spindle and whether as per the photos this is normal or is this excessive wear showing. I will be replacing the Bushes, bearing and seal while I have them out.
So any help regards the spindle itself would be appreciated and Happy New Years to you all.
Regards Terry

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not worry about that at all . New bushes need reaming out to suit the spindles after they are fitted , so in your case you will only have to finish them to the size the spindles have worn to .
Do each one individually , if you don't have a suitable reamer [ who does ?] it have be a job for a machine shop .

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is pretty normal wear, not what you want to see, but normal.

As long as the surface the bushing runs on is smooth, not galled, and those don't appear to be, they will work. There will be some slack though, even with new bushing. But, keep in mind you are working on an old tractor, not a street car, so some play in the steering will hardly be noticeable. If you do replace the spindles, remember you will be getting aftermarket parts, may not be the same quality as the originals, if those are original.

Before removing the bushings, how loose are they? Did you check the wear on the non-worn area of the spindle? The reason I ask, what you may have been feeling was wear on the spindle, not so much on the bushings.

If you do decide to replace the bushings, they will need to be reamed to size. Unless you have access to the reaming tool, that will mean removing the front axles and taking them to a shop.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But Charles, think about it...

If each bushing is reamed to fit the wear, how will you get the spindle back in?

kaesark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So if I understand your feedback the bushings will need to be reamed out to fit the diameter of the spindle in that case I will take to the experts in town as I do not own such tools. Not sure I would even be able to extract the old bushings anyways. Doesn't sound as though it should be too expensive a job (hopeful as always.
Thanks

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did mine a few years ago. The slight amount of wear you have shouldn't really make replacement needed. I believe removing the old bushings was done with a vert long chisel and split one side out, drive them out the closest end. Installation is best done with a bushing driver and bushes fresh from the -5 degree freezer. You have about 5 minutes to get it installed before it warms up to normal size. If you did a good job and did not mushroom them, the spindle will slide in with no problem. A machine shop might have the correct size reamer to remove the burrs you put into it or a rat tail file used very sparingly to remove the burrs at the top of the bush.
Once you get it all together and the steer box rebuilt, place a copper penny (pre 1980, I believe) behind the stabilizer arm ball near the transmission. This will greatly help to remove play from the steering.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Steve@Advance wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:55:32 12/30/17) But Charles, think about it...

If each bushing is reamed to fit the wear, how will you get the spindle back in?

Oh Der !
(Smacks forehead with open palm ) Laughing
Sometimes I wonder how I manage to get my underpants on .

Bruce the coin trick is a really good solution , in Kaesark's case , being from New Zealand a superseded NZ two cent coin is what's called for .

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several pics: from a Ferguson SERVICE MANUAL:

For reference only / ideas:

Bob...Owner Operator TEA 20 & MF FE 35 X

miner09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you plan on keeping your tractor for years buy new spindles and fit new bushings. Spindles are not that expensive. Be like new and drive great. You can drive old bushings down into housing as long as you don't cover grease sert opening. Normally one time. No problem leaving bushings in housing.

kaesark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As the wear is more in the bushes than the spindles I will replace the bushes only.
Thanks

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are concerned with the pitted center section- don't be. They've probably looked like that from the day they were forged. The sections that are machined bright, where the bushings ride, well, clean them up a bit, don't sand them, and go with em- but put more lube than previous owners have done. I can't believe these were designed to hold liquid oil, don't seem possible to keep it in there. I have a '55 TEA, and it has grease gun zeros.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The spindles were always greased Tony , it was the hubs that were originally designed to be oil filled .

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bloody pommie technology....
hey what happened to PCP? He convert to Leyland or something??

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too busy dealing with the Queensland sun I suspect Tony Smile
Happy new year to you !

pcp20us
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: TEA20 Front Spindle Wear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles in Aus. wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:42:46 01/01/1Cool
Too busy dealing with the Queensland sun I suspect Tony Smile
Happy new year to you !

RRRR Feck Fella's.... It only the front end.....

I did my spindles a while ago, cut out the bushes, installed new ones, it didn't do much, except make me feel like I had achieved something. With the wear on the spindle shaft it made snout difference....

And that's why I have no trouble putting my under pants on backward Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Happy New Year, Y'all

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters