Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KCTractors
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Earlier in the fall I had a set of NAPA CS35 points for a front mount distributor that I could not get right gap set. I put a set from Carquest and they adjusted up with no problem.
I took them back to NAPA and they gave me a new set. Will today I put the new set on a different distributor and had the same problem. Can not get them to open enough to get the right gap of .o16, I can get .012 but that is it.
Anybody else run into this problem with the NAPA points?

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Time to file out the adjustment hole.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the brand name on the parts? NAPA and CARQUEST are simply retail distributors, no pun intended. My NAPA store sells the CS35 points and they are the BLUE STREAK brand, and have no problem with them. There have been reports lately of the same problem, so perhaps they have now switched suppliers. The cheap point sets use a plastic rubbing block and will fail in short order. Blue Streak, Standard Ignition, use the original style phenolic rubbing block. Just for giggles, tell us the CARQUEST part number and/or the brand name.

Tim Daley(MI)

Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I have had this same problem with my front-mount. But when I filed out the adjustment slot enough to obtain the right adjustment, too little of the point base remained, so it was weakened and wouldn't hold adjustment. So far my only solution has been to clean up and use the old points sets that I had saved.

Copperhead don't play
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

]"Earlier in the fall I had a set of NAPA CS35 points for a front mount distributor that I could not get right gap set.

KCTractors, I had the same problem so I filed the hole to make them fit. Apparently these points fit many different types of distributors, and the 8N now falls out of the "fit"

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any chance of a side-by-side comparison between the NAPA and CARQUEST points? Or, bottom to bottom, as the case may be?

I've got a picture around here somewhere of a set of Bluestreak points opened to .030 on a distributor w/ new bushings.

Means you got the same result on 2 different distributors, I'd say it is the points, but I would love to see exactly what the problem is.
75 Tips

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had problems with several sets of points not opening wide enough. If you compare a set that works with a set that won't open far enough, you are likely to find that the little tab that rubs against the distributor cam is too short on the set that won't open.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" the little tab that rubs against the distributor cam is too short on the set that won't open. "

I'd like to confirm that.
75 Tips

Paul in MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same problem with NAPA points for the front mount dist. They offered me a new set made exactly the same incorrect way. What junk!

Paul in MN

Jim in Eastern NC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last set I replaced in the non-EI front mount 8N had to have one of the holes "wallowed" out with a small drill. Just took a few seconds to do it and it adjusted just fine. I don't like it any more than anyone else, but it is apparently a sign of the times we now live in. I believe they were the NAPA Blue Streak version whose part number is often noted here. No trouble starting since but I also replaced all wiring and converted to 12 volts at the time.

trouttman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-KCTractors wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:53:25 12/31/17) Earlier in the fall I had a set of NAPA CS35 points for a front mount distributor that I could not get right gap set. I put a set from Carquest and they adjusted up with no problem.
I took them back to NAPA and they gave me a new set. Will today I put the new set on a different distributor and had the same problem. Can not get them to open enough to get the right gap of .o16, I can get .012 but that is it.
Anybody else run into this problem with the NAPA points?

I bought a set of BWD A41 from Advance 2 or 3 years ago, would not gap more than .012, had to clean up old points sitll running.

The A41 replaced the FD6796X

erskine2017
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In Kansas where I live, NAPA only sells Echlin and not Blue Streak ignition parts. Are you seeing the same problem with Echlin Points?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FWIW, SMP (Standard Motor Products) makes Standard Ignition, Blue Streak, Echlin, Neihoff, BWD, GP Sorenson, and and a handful of other brands.
Source

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: NAPA CS35 Points For Frt Mount Distr. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, me too, my error saying they were Blue Streak earlier. Never any problems with them. The TISCO and cheaper brands, yes, but never ECHLIN...CS35 NAPA p/n.

Tim Daley(MI)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters