Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New engine sleeve kit install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panningbros
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just ordered an overhaul kit w/ the wet style sleeves. The pistons are already installed w/ rings into the sleeves. I've never put in a kit like this, but I've heard most of them come this way now. I used to like to get the sleeves into the block first then install the crankshaft & then push in the pistons and rods and bolt them up. What is the correct way to do these? Put all the sleeve/piston/rod combos and then put in the crank or put the crank in first? I'm tempted to push the pistons out of the sleeves and do it the way I know how.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Simply push the piston so the top of the piston is flush with the top of the sleeve. Put the crank in with the rod caps off and you should have no trouble lining things up as you do that

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-panningbros"](reply to post at 08:59:57 01/01/1Cool [/quote

I cant imagine installin them alltogether. It is simply a good way to inventory and ship them.

Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About all the factory John Deere liners come with pistons/rings in the liner. Simply push the pistons out the bottom of the liners just far enough to install your connecting rod and keepers.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="showcrop"](quoted from post at 11:33:12 01/01/1Cool
CVPost-panningbros wrote:
(reply to post at 08:59:57 01/01/1Cool [/quote

I cant imagine installin them alltogether. It is simply a good way to inventory and ship them.

Actually, it's not uncommon to do it that way, or to find instructions packed with the kit instructiong to do it that way, slide the piston down on the sleeve far enough to access the wristpin to install the rod, then install them as a unit.

Saves the risk of breaking piston rings.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I take them all the way out and recheck everything, Ring gap, See if the rings are installed on the pistons right side up and the gaps are positioned right. I don't trust anyone, My engine supplier told me they had more problems with the preloaded units than they did the others.That was enough excuse for me.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You would have to trust that they were properly cleaned from the factory. I wouldn't put them in without at least taking the pistons out and scrubbing the sleeves with detergent and hot water. And at least inspecting the rings.

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep that's the way the catapillar 3406's come too, all assembled, wrapped in plastic, you put old old ones in the box and return em.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea I've put a few of those 3406 Cat liner kits in, piston, rings, rod, all preassembled in the liner, good way to get your fingers pinched when the liner slipped in through the bottom seals.

travis miranowski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New engine sleeve kit install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have overhauled several Deere engines and never pulled out the pistons and in fact John Deere does not recommend it. First dry fit the sleeves and check protrusion. Then install crank shaft and liner o-rings. Push the pistons out far enough to push the wrist pin through and install rods. Then start installing the sleeves into the block. Very simple.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters