Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve W(NY)
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went out in 5 degree weather here in upstate NY and started my 2N. I was letting it warm up on high idle. The PTO was engaged and it ran about 30 seconds and then I heard a distinct clunking sound. I immediately knew it was bad and though rod. I couldn't turn over the tractor until I stood on the clutch and it started right up.

Letting out the clutch causes it to stall. I disengaged the PTO and it doesn't seem to matter. The bad part is it's squeezed into my un heated barn without a lot of clearance. She's been a reliable runner for in my hands for over 19 years. I was one of the original purchasers a Zane Thang but I haven't been to the board for years.

Any thoughts? Steps?

Take Care,
Steve

OBwan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Warm it up. Drag into a heated area or put some heaters on it. You may have a lot of water in the trans/diff fluid and it's frozen.

howdy1960
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with possible water in tranny.
Place a (space) heater under it and carefully tarp it to retain warm air.
Loosen a tranny plug enough to drain/drip off water, move space heater 1st.
I disengaged my PTO on my 2N last time out before starting just to make warm up easier.
I always start while stepping on clutch, give engine a 1-2 mins to warm up before coming off clutch.
Mine lives under a lean-to roof as no room to stuff even a snowblower in garage.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This tranny and hydraulics were also locked up. Although the water in yours may not be this bad it still can cause problems. Grad-jewel warmup might solve your problem. if so drain, clean and
replace fluid.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's going to take a lot of heat to melt the ice if the air temperature is in the single digits. You most likely will have to use either a kerosene forced air heater, or one that burns LP. Covering the tractor with tarps is a good idea, so you won't have to heat the whole shop to get it thawed out.

Steve W(NY)
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick responses. I hope you are all right, but the fact it ran for 30 seconds and then clunk/stopped gives me a bit of worry. I'll tarp it and hit it with some heat tonight. It's been crazy cold.

Take Care,
Steve

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used a 2 gallon tin bucket with charcoal bricketts in it to thaw out a JD model B. It took a few hours to get it warm enough so I could drain the water out of the transmission.

allenlane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it common that water gets into these N's? How does it get there assuming all plugs, plates, etc are in place.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Contrary to conventional wisdom, not a lot of water gets in the oil from the shifter boot. The purpose of the shifter boot is to keep dirt out of the hydraulic sump. Of course, if it's bad, replace it, but you get water from the draft control spring & the dipstick. But, most water is just a byproduct of the heating/cooling cycle of the oil. The oil never gets hot enough (like engine oil) to boil off the water and it condenses inside the case. And, even when you aren?t operating the tractor, the oil and case heat and cool at different rates, also creating condensation.
75 Tips

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All good reasons to keep the tractor under a roof when not in use. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N ran 30 seconds, then clunk and tranny locked Reply to specific post Reply with quote

allenlane wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:43:36 01/02/1Cool

Is it common that water gets into these N's? How does it get there assuming all plugs, plates, etc are in place.

Do you ever see condensation on any metal surfaces around your place? If so, it is condensing on the inside of your cases at the same time. Under normal work conditions the heat will drive the moisture out the same or next day. Under occasional use conditions it slowly accumulates more and more. A roof over it makes little difference.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters