Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

for the Brain Trust

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When pheasant hunting, you have about 1 to 3 seconds to get that shot off if bird flushes in decent range. No time to be having a hand in your pocket or removing a mitten. Need a heated stock on the gun.

bcdave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my other life I was a lineman. There was no problem with cold feet with the boots that are available but we often used hand warmers inside the one finger mitts. The fingers would be toasty but could still work. Lineman can't wear thick bulky gloves.
Dave

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a look at shooters mitts and add hand warmers.
I have the same trouble as you with cold feet , hands.
Feet are the worse.

retired farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know if they still make them but I used to use what they called Hotfingers from Wells Lamont back when I did a lot of skiing. Kept my hands warm most all day.

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor vet, you are describing a blood circulation issue, there is likely nothing wrong with any of the gloves. My experience is similair to yours. I wear cloth gloves and I use a walk behind snowblower. With my hands grasping the control levers circulation to my finger tips stops, by the time I have finished my fingers are burning cold. I get in and take off my gloves and after several minutes my fingers warm up and I'm good to go. Tight gloves make it worse, leather gloves seem to tighten when you grasp something and mitts don't work well on the controls. I used to wear the skimpiest cloth gloves inside my snowmobile mitts and I could last all afternoon grasping the controls of the machine, they were loose fitting in both cases. This winter I have had cold fingers more often and circulation to the fingers is the culprit.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I froze my hands bad when younger, now they are always cold, agree on the mittens.

Ron Muhlenkamp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was a kid, I was told " If your toes are cold, put on a hat". I didn't believe it then, but I do now. Your body can only produce a certain amount of heat. Your brain priorititizes the parts of your body to keep warm. It's priorities are the brain itself, then the heart and the internal organs. Last are fingers, toes, ears and nose. Not to say that circulation, etc. aren't also factors

Gary Mitchell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I worked the dock in the winter I used the thin brown jersey gloves inside the old yellow or green fuzzy chore gloves. A guy I worked with some swore by mittens. When it was SUPER cold I used glove liners or meat cutter's cotton gloves inside them. Until it stayed below zero all day the old 2 buckle overshoes were enuf but when it really got ugly I went to the old insulated "Moon Boots." gm

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't remember my hands being that cold in the military. That was a wool glove with a leather glove on top . Two pairs on the hands at once. I never shot the rifle with gloves.

Straw Boss
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to take your wife deer hunting.......

cuby
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have developed Neuropathy in my feet in the last two years so I now wear -50 degree moon boots when outside but still have to be careful as my feet are always numb anyway.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have to take blood thinner. A true pain in the rump. In cold or hot weather your feet sweat. This is what skiers and other cold weather folk do. Before you go out take a can of Arrid XX extra dry antipersperant and hose your feet down top and bottom. You want to put on enough so you can almost skate across the carpet. Your feet cannot sweat. They will not get cold and clammy. Just not super cold. I have been doing it for years. Give it a try cause it really works.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"thin brown jersey gloves inside the old yellow or green fuzzy chore gloves"

That's what I use too Gary.

ChasK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As the last thing you do, before putting on your gloves, put some of this on a little heavier than you would a lotion.

When doing chores between buildings, I sometimes keep my gloves off. Been below zero since Friday.

Available at most farm stores...

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-dr sportster wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:53:32 01/02/18) I don't remember my hands being that cold in the military. That was a wool glove with a leather glove on top . Two pairs on the hands at once. I never shot the rifle with gloves.

Yeah, but you were 18 at the time. Bet you're not 18 anymore.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters