Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

for the Brain Trust

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get some of these chemical reaction hand warmers, see link. I use the jersey gloves inside of my other gloves which are usually some form of insulated leather gloves. I put the warmer pad on the back of my hand outside of the jersey glove. That is not an ideal setup for shooting, but I?m talking about work wise. Some of those gloves with the swing off mitten tips might be good for shooting. I?d be surprised if the didn?t make those with little sewn in pockets to hold these type of warmers. Just keeping one of these in your coat pocket to warm your hand that way is better than nothing. As long as these things are contained from direct wind they usually last at least 3-6 hours.
Hand warmers

Pete in Holland MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dehydration is a problem in the winter. You don't know it is happening (no sweaty clothes). As you dehydrate, your capillaries shrink up to accomidate the smaller amount of fluid in your body, reducing blood flow, thus heat distribution. Drink lots of water before going outside, and drink often while out.

Notice the steam from your breath each time you breath, that's where your fluids are going.

Pete

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds dumb, but there is some real truth behind the old cliche "If your feet are cold, put on a hat". A face mask can help conserve body heat too.

GVSII
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From the feet up:LL Bean boots with a liner,jeans with carhartt lined bibs, flannel shirt, carhartt lined jacket w/ vest,fleece lined hat w/ear flaps,carhartt insulated gloves or lined leather mitts w/an insert,depending on what I'm doing.Fingers may get cold with the gloves but thats it.If feet or hands are wrapped too tight circulation is cut down and there is no thin air gap around them and they're going to get KOLD. A balaclava is a big help too when you are exposed to wind.
When deer hunting keep your rifle loosely on a sling and your hands in your pockets with either chemical or the old joni hand warmers.You may be able to get a quick shot off.At your age don't feel too bad at not knocking down Bambi with one shot.Sometimes around me it sounds like there's fire fight going on with all these auto-loaders in use.
By the way what are you using for a rifle? Just curious.

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used the thin latex gloves that the medical people wear, under my gloves.

rrc300 u
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use wool liners with leather gloves over the top. Also have a hand warmer made by Zippo it runs on lighter fluid and works pretty well they have a small 6 hour one and a larger 12 hour one. It works pretty well. I have uswd it at work a bunch of times the thing is awesome.

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whatever you wear, warm them up before putting them on. It saps a lot of heat to warm up a pair of gloves; warm ones get the blood flowing as soon as you put them on.

Bernie/MA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"m 82. For the last 5-6 years I"ve had to wear mittens when it get down into the 30s. My hands/fingers are too messed up from arthritis to get gloves on. But... I just found knitted fingerless gloves I can get on. My fingers are so short they barely stick out and there is a mitten attached you can flip over your fingers. I haven"t been able to work in my shop for 3 weeks. I"m going to try them tomorrow.

RBoots
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try wearing latex gloves inside your winter gloves, it helps sometimes.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While in the military that is one thing i did not have a problem with . Being COLD Nam was not cold , sometimes in the highlands it got cool . I have fought cold feet and hands since i can remember . My normal body temp is over two degree lower then a NORMAL person , Normal is something i have never been .

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mitten on hand that points the gun. Wool or fleece glove with the rubber dimples on the trigger hand That hand in slash pocket with those disposable hand warmers, Probably shot 500 birds that way,

rdandersom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got stranded on a back road during a blizzard 5 years ago. I didn't think I got that cold but apparently froze my fingers and ears. My fingers haven't been right since. This winter has been especially hard on my fingers

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters