Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fire Order.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been wondering about this for a long time. Why did some tractor engine designers use the firing order of 1-3-4-2, and others used a firing order of 1-2-4-3? The firing order of my 8N is the 1-2-4-3, and I remember working on some Allis Chalmers that had the same firing order.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just one of those thing to try to do something different and maybe to make sure they could not be sued for having something the same

D Case Guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe that 1342 is by far the most
common order on 4 cyl engine, at least on Ag engines. Only a
select few used different. I knew Allis
was one of them. Perhaps an Allis
aficionado wohld have some insight on why
they chose a different order.

D Case Guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe that 1342 is by far the most
common order on 4 cyl engine, at least on Ag engines. Only a
select few used different. I knew Allis
was one of them. Perhaps an Allis
aficionado would have some insight on why
they chose a different order.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

o. m. g. there is a reason for that. you were just bragging the other day about engine rotations,... well maybe balance and rotaion come into play here. there is a real answer .

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya balance comes into play but be it 1,2,4,3 or 1, 3,4,2 it all balances out. Gettign pretty bad how yo ukeep going after me for nothing

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

u better have a talk with the engineers on that answer.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:22:44 01/04/1Cool Ya balance comes into play but be it 1,2,4,3 or 1, 3,4,2 it all balances out. Gettign pretty bad how yo ukeep going after me for nothing

I remember, a long time ago, I was told that odd numbered cylinder engines balanced much better than even numbered engines. Like 3, 5, 7 cylinders in an engine. That must not have caught on very well. But a few are still out there. Chevrolet used a five cylinder engine in the Colorado pickups. You had a choice of either a 4 cylinder, or a 5 cylinder engine when you ordered a new one. I wonder what the firing order is on a 5 cylinder engine.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They claim an odd numbered cylinder engine is smoother because no two pistons are going up and down at the same time like in an even numbered engine. That doesn't seem to hold true with my Colorado five cylinder. It feels and sounds like a four cylinder only the vibes are a little closer together. Could be just poor isolation between engine and frame too.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fire Order. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:28:15 01/06/1Cool They claim an odd numbered cylinder engine is smoother because no two pistons are going up and down at the same time like in an even numbered engine. That doesn't seem to hold true with my Colorado five cylinder. It feels and sounds like a four cylinder only the vibes are a little closer together. Could be just poor isolation between engine and frame too.

What kind of gas mileage do you get with the five cylinder engine? I have a 2009 Colorado that has the four cylinder with a five speed stick shift. It has really good gas mileage.

I wonder if torque output has anything to do with the choice firing order? I wish I could ask an engine designer these questions.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters