Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Saveing the world.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gambles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I feel that electric cars CAN (at the present time) work great in the city. Outside of the city? There are just no charging stations available YET.
Now if you want to have a few hours of good reading, brush up on how lithium is mined, what countries have lithium and exactly what mining lithium does to the environment.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Pete black wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:18:02 01/03/1Cool What gets me is that those who drive an electric vehicle pulls up and expects to plug it in to recharge it for nothing.

EV drivers do tend to be overly entitled and expect to be treated like royalty for their personally saving the plant from Climate Change.
In conversation with EV drivers
, they use the word " free" a lot. If asked who pays for "free" the EV drivers become defensive and annoyed.
When asked how can they live with themselves with the tax payer paying $14,000 worth of their EV. They say that they paid the tax and are just collecting it back. Or it starts a rant about the so called subsidies that fossil receives.
EV drivers don't want to talk about how many billions of fees, licenses, royalties and taxes that fossil pays into government coffers every year.

Andy Martin
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not a tree hugger, by any means, but it is true you can even clean up coal emissions and sequester all the carbon at a power plant. It's much harder to clean up every car running around town. As battery charge times drop, and battery life is extended, you can expect to see electric vehicles less expensive to build than internal combustion. Battery design is accelerating just like computer chips did for many years. I fully expect to see many electric only city centers, as well as HOV lanes for self driving electrics only so they can tailgate at 70 mph after their computers link up. Toshiba recently announced they are working on a 300 mile range battery which will recharge in ten minutes.

And Tesla is selling lots of trucks they haven't started building yet. You can imagine self driving electric trucks going from terminal to terminal, being unloaded and reloaded by robot forklifts, time of day no object, with a few human maintenance personnel on duty 24 hours to keep the equipment running. Then human local drivers get loaded for local delivery by the same robots. A design like this reduces the number of truck drivers required.

I'll keep farming with my IH M's but change is coming, like it or not. I'm even a little concerned it will get hard to find gasoline in my lifetime. We used to be able to buy kerosene at the pump for less than the price of gasoline. Now it's by the gallon or five gallon container at sky high prices.

But the current generation of entrepreneurs and engineers, even though it includes lots of Millennials, is making technical progress faster than we've seen previously. I'm enjoying the show.

Andy Martin
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been complaining about the lack of road tax on EV for years, and it's finally a large enough issue they are going to have to start paying up.

Expect to see parking meters in big cities with electricity available to charge your car with while parked.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DoubleO7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:56:55 01/03/1Cool I can be driving in town behind a gas vehicle and know by the stench of raw gasoline if it is pre 1976 vehicle.
Some are worse then others of course but some just make you gasp for some good air.

Oh, WOW, sorry that's so tough on you!

Gotta wonder, though, where you're here on a "yesterdays tractors" Forum, gosh the exhaust from one of those would probably send you to the ER!

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh, they understand. Job #1 is to wreck the country and send jobs overseas. They are doing a very good job aren't they.

Brent Zappe
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Please forgive me I was talking to friend this morning and I just had got on this subject. I really respect my friend he is a truck driver. Poor guy just trying to make a living. thank you for every body replies it made me laugh.

olgentdc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

those shytheds are doing it all the time here,,.. thinking about a bafbwitre clothesline

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

who is "they"?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The federales are "they."

Dean

Kansasredneck
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Limo Service for the Washington D.C. Elite!

Kansasredneck
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you really think about it, with the exception of nuclear energy, all other forms are solar. The difference is the means of extraction and storage. Wind is caused by uneven heating and cooling of the earths surface due to impairment of the sun. Fossil fuels are long term storage, they were created by the sun in that plants absorbed solar radiation longer ago, then were consumed by animals. Some of that plant material along with the animals perished and became encased in the earth's crust a few thousand years ago. I wonder how ell a battery would fare if stored for six thousand years. Probably would be as big a pollution mess as coal.
I suppose we could harvest waste crops, dead branches, lawn clippings, and burn them to produce electricity, but would they be as reliable as coal?
What about safety? Are the dangers from coal pollution as great as from nuclear? Consider a few more Chernobyl, or Fukushima disasters.
In the end, it is all in the hands of the GOD who created us. May he bless each of you today as always. Have a great day.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chernoby, Fukushima and three mile island were all over rated regarding danger .
Anyone aware that there are two Japanese cities built on top of ground zero of armonic bomb blasts . Incidentally the cancer rate in both cities is below the national average .

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Saveing the world. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The low hanging fruit was picked a long time ago with batteries . There are a few percent here and there if much higher cost , shorter service life and a tendency to burst into flames is acceptable .
There is not 25% more energy density in lithium batteries let alone 200% and 300% more as some non technical greenies like to fantasize about .

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters