Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

for the Brain Trust

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For 66 years i have fought the problem of cold / frozen fingers and hand and feet . Having the body temp of a SNAKE makes it even worse . The best boots i have are my boots i wear hunting and are good for me at temps above 25 degrees for around four and if lucky five hours . Now hands Nothing and i mean nothing will keep them comorfable for more then and hour or so . Youngest daughter's new guy friend who i sorta like and took him Deer hunting with the group this year bought me a new pair of gloves thinking that they would do the job , sorry to say NOPE they are like wearing air conditioning . while deer hunting on the last day of our gun season since he is a young buck we let hi do the driving , since he is not up on how our deer act around here he was moving to fast and darn near stepped on a nice buck and spooked it out and he was not ready , well i am getting old and i was not watching in his direction and here come this would be nice buck if it would have had both antlers , well here we go by if it is BROWN it is down . Being late in the day with vary cold hands and at long range it took me three shots to drop him . I am the one of the group that is really good at the long range shots and it took me three not one but three i am still upset over that . My fingers were vary cold and stiff and i had on the best i had for gloves . Feet were good fingers NOPE . Does anybody make a glove today in 2018 with all the modern tech that is flexable , not to bulky , and WARM anywhere in this country . Now with the temps hovering in the 0 range on the nightly walk with my dog after fifteen min. i could use my fingers to stur my Crown Royal and make it ice cold by the time we get back in . Cold fingers make for poor trigger control and makes for a really mad wife placing fingers in warm location .

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was minus 21 F last night, supposed to warm up today to above zero maybe even teens for a day, but is minus 19 right now.

It's just cold. All over.

Paul

sms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have Raynaud's disease?????? My brother does.
Raynauds disease

Jim PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Tractor Vet. I suffer from the same condition as you. If I am out to long in the cold my fingers really hurt. They have ever since I was a kid. I found a pair or beaver mitts from this guy in Alaska. http://timberadobeavermitts.com/beaver_mens.html. They are pricy but well worth it and will last a lifetime. They are big enough to wear a thin wool glove inside and you can harness the mitts to just throw off when you need your fingers to shoot. These mitts are the best quality that you will ever see. I know the guy that makes them and he makes them custom order. If you order tell him that Jim from Pennsylvania sent you. He will treat you well.

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I too have finger and toes problems with the cold. I've used polypropylene socks covered by the best wool sock money could buy but if I'm not moving, a lot, my toes are going to get cold. The use of toe warmers has helped tremendously increase my time in the cold. Wearing MUCKS or BOGGS has helped also. Fingers are worse. Even with the use of hand warmers in my gloves my fingers are like yours Rick ice cold little clubs. Hunting is particularly bad cause your hand is wrapped around the cold gun and not flexing much. My wife won't let me near her when I come in from the cold, she knows I'm gonna try to warm my hands on her warm parts. lol. I think just maybe mine maybe the result of hands and feet getting very cold when sledding as a kid. No frostbite or damaged skin as I remember just very very cold. In my case, a pair of brown jersey covered by a leather work glove works as well as the best wells Lamont sold. So, guess we're in the same cold boat. gobble

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wear MITTENS any time you don't need your fingers. 10X warmer than any glove. Your fingers are huddling together for warmth, and it works. Your hands stay warm without all the bulk of huge insulated gloves.

I have a pair of Kinco Axeman leather mittens I wear for running the snowblower. Way warmer than the overstuffed insulated gloves I was using before.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only boots that work for me in real cold are surplus Mickey Mouse boots, and I have to change my socks every few hours t that. Gloves of any kind are worthless. I use mittens, or mitts if you prefer, either the traditional leather chopper with the wool liner or the leather with faux wool lining. Only thing that works for me. Wool is still the best bet IMO.

Steamboat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a problem with blood circulation. Do you smoke?

Lazy WP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never been able to keep either my hands or feet warm. I did find a pair of mittens that I can wear, when it gets real cold, (below -15) and still keep my fingers warm. For my feet, I found Calbellas medium weight wool socks plus a pair of light weight cotton socks plus Muck boots extreme chore boot, and I am good for 50 to minus 20 as long as I move some. Below minus 20 I just get cold. I have also gone to wearing synthetic longjohns, and leather shotgun chaps down to -15, then I dig out the Carhart Bibs.
I do have a pair of Ice Armour gloves, that are about as good as the mittens for short periods, but they aren't very durable.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same complaint here. Wool socks help. I wear them over cotton ones. We raise wool here. If you can get socks made from good Shetland wool, the itchy factor is minimized. I wear felt snowmobile boot liners inside my boots as well. Wool knit hats help as well.

Now my problem: I take medication for high blood pressure. Apparently the cold extremities is a common complaint. My pharmacist (daughter) is about the only health care professional who will discuss this with me. Others apparently aren't trained on this problem. As long as your blood pressure is lower than low, they're happier than a chicken in a corn crib.

Determined
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have not found a glove yet that will keep my hands warm for very long.

What I do is keep a second pair inside my coveralls, just tuck them in the space below the armpit above the waist.
They usually stay put there.

As soon as your fingers start to feel cold switch the warm ones onto your hands and let the other pair warm up.

Determined
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-RayP(MI)"](quoted from post at 08:51:17 01/02/1Cool Same complaint here. Wool socks help. I wear them over cotton ones

I was always told to do the opposite.

Wool next to your skin because it can keep you warm even when it is wet and a cotton sock over top of it to wick away the moisture from sweating.

Also make sure the cotton sock is bigger than what you normally wear, if it is too tight it will hinder circulation and your feet will get colder faster.

Fredwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is vitiams that help with blood circulation maybe try one of them and see. FredWi

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I have a pair of Sorel Chieftan boots I wear with two pairs of socks when it's real bad. Trouble with them is the bulk, difficult to drive with them on. Best thing I've found for hands are the mylar/polypropylene glove liners. Inside a glove they're good but worthless if you pull the glove off. The cold goes right through.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: for the Brain Trust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get rid of the gloves & go with a good pair of snowmobile MITTENS. Ones with beaver fur or such. Make sure they are big enough too. They can't fit tight. Are you wearing enough body clothing? As the body gets cold the fingers & toes are the 1st to suffer. I used to hunt in a red snowmobile suit here in Mn. Long underwear, insulated shirt, vest & sweater underneath. Dress like it is 20 30 below. You can always open the outer clothing if you get too warm. Just don't sweat.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters