Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Drilling titanium?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryCPP(WA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Drilling titanium? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to cross drill or mill a 1/4 inch hole in 1 1/8 inch grade 5 titanium. I need clean hole with a very tight fit for the bolt that will go through it. I don't know whether to use HSS, cobalt, or carbide. I've read "Slow with lots of pressure and cutting oil," but no real answer as to what material will work best for the end mill or drill bit. Titanium is very pricey, so I don't want to mess it up. Has anyone here actually done this? If so, what did you use?

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilling titanium? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Down this list is the practices I use most. Success depends on carefully monitoring the rate of change in the depth of the cut assuming uniform feed pressure. Tap Magic Brand cutting fluid is a blessing as it finds its way onto the edges. As soon as the cutting rate slows, it is mandatory to sharpen the drill. Heat and work hardening are radical issues. Jim
Info

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilling titanium? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DO NOT let the bit get dull. Even the least little bit of the drill turning and not cutting will work harder the titanium to where you can cut it even with carbide cutters. I have used a carbide end mill with coolant to mill titanium. I do not know if it would work at the depth your needing.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Drilling titanium? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Going back to when they were building the SR-71 black birds. They had to develop all kinds of special tools and procedures to work with that stuff.

rlp in Co.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Drilling titanium? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use cobalt bits and as others have said, heavy pressure and slow speed and keep the bit sharp. Do you have a scrap piece to practice on?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters