Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pipe threading

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heyseed
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have to cap a galvanized pipe in an old building. The end will have no threads and I'm looking for ideas. I see that Harbor Freight has a threading tool. Anyone know about the quality? This may be the only time I use it so spending a lot doesn't make sense.
Will the size be the same for Galvanized and black pipe?
Any thoughts on using a Dresser Compression Coupling instead. This is a water line with maybe 50 PSI max.
Thanks.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Galvanized and black pipe are interchangeable. As for the threader, I haven't a clue.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A threading tool like that will be fine. I suggest looking into renting one if it will not be used after the job. If nothing else giving it to a handy plumber friend might be an idea. smashing the end and welding it shut is easier!! Jim

Tony in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a used Rigid set at a pawn shop for the same money.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How long does this work have to last ?

My SIL lives in an old mansion that had a broken gal pipe , so bad that I wouldn't dare even try to thread it . I bought a pipe joiner that was a stainless sleeve with a rubber insert . I cut the end of the broken pipe square then used the joiner to couple it to a short piece of new pipe with an end cap on. This was six odd years ago and it is still holding with not a hint of a leak .

Heyseed
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Charles, that is a Dresser compression fitting. I had the same idea for a fix. This pipe is under the floor and threading it would be a tricky option. Thanks

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Possibly put a flexible coupler to pvc and cap the plastic?

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one that I have used numerous times. They are "so so". Not great but not too bad either.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any chance of removing the stub length back to the last coupling or elbow?

Logan in S.E. Texas
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are places that rent tools also. Being it's possible that you will not need it in the future.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If all you are going to do is cap one pipe you have nothing to loose in buying that pipe threader. It will either work or they will take it back. More than likely it's a good tool but the dies won't last as long as a better brand.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you have other use for the threader I would use a compression fitting, they are widely used in industry and reliable if properly installed.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-tony in sd wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:41:22 01/10/1Cool I bought a used Rigid set at a pawn shop for the same money.

I bought the Ridgid set at an auction. 1/2" up to 2" dies. It works very well, but a pipe wrench is also needed to keep the pipe from turning.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would suggest a dresser coupling.

Then plug the other end of the coupling with a threaded nipple and cap.

To be safe, nail a block across the capped end. Sometimes if there is water hammer, or the rubber seals relax over time, they can come off if not trapped.
Dresser Coupling

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PS, another reason for the coupling, the pipe may be too corroded to take a thread. Threading is a pretty forceful operation, could break something, start another leak down stream.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters