Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gleaner unloading auger swivel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Wi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Gleaner unloading auger swivel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like a couple times a year someone posts on here about the swivel binding. I was one this year, had trouble on my F3. In most cases the solution is to lube it. Solved my problem. But what was the original design plan? I can't find anything in the book about lubing it. Tells about greasing the bearings and u-joints, but nothing about the swivel joint. I find it hard to believe that it was designed to run dry. Has anyone added a grease fitting or is it best to just keep it oiled? Any oil or grease you add is going to collect dust, but that's something a person just has to deal with.

ben brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner unloading auger swivel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i work on a r52 it has 3 grease fitting on it.. the older ones you can drill a small hole in them to pour oil in them the 52 has the fitting close to the rings where the balls run i belive thy were pre greased when new

jfreed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner unloading auger swivel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ben, apparently a R series is different than the F series. Our F2 swivel has the "balls" pretty much exposed to the naked eye, if a person can't see them in the
swivel,probably should NOT be in the operators seat.

Tom from IL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gleaner unloading auger swivel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Later models have a series of grease fittings around the swivel joint. Don't remember the exact number, but probably about 6.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gleaner unloading auger swivel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you ever can stand and watch while someone cycles the auger you can see grain dust dribbling out of the balls. That lubricates it. Think raddle, and elevator chains. The problem is WATER. Any prolonged setting outside starts the rust, and the grinding starts.

ben brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner unloading auger swivel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you dont keep lubed weather it a new one like the r52 i take care of that has 3 fitting or the l-3 that dont have any thy well wear out and u tell all not to stand under them when being moved in and out as soon or later thy wear out you can get replacement rings and balls one other thing i tell the owner not to swing it in out less its empty

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner unloading auger swivel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil it from the platform while swivelling. Never heard of one breaking from too much oil.
Ben

Doug Wi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gleaner unloading auger swivel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

water must have been the problem here. I left it sit out part of one summer and all of one winter a few years ago. No matter how good you clean them ,it still leaves a mess to clean up to get them going again.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters