Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

9n Built-in wheel weights?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haven't checked in for awhile, thought I'd ask this. The rear wheels on my 9N look like every other 9N's. I've never had them off, but they look incredibly heavy. Is the whole center piece some kind of built-in wheel weight? Thanks for any help with this. Tractor is a project, currently not running, but hope to correct that situation soon. Gary in Maryland

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RedMF40 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:07:21 01/12/1Cool Haven't checked in for awhile, thought I'd ask this. The rear wheels on my 9N look like every other 9N's. I've never had them off, but they look incredibly heavy. Is the whole center piece some kind of built-in wheel weight? Thanks for any help with this. Tractor is a project, currently not running, but hope to correct that situation soon. Gary in Maryland

The centers are not "weights" but the rear tire assembly is heavy so be careful if you decide to remove them. If the tires have been filled with liquid ballast they will be VERY heavy and can easily pin you down and/or cause injury if they fall on you.

TOH

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would like to see a photo of the center disc?

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Kirk-NJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:54:23 01/12/1Cool Would like to see a photo of the center disc?

This is my tractor.

Flatheadpete
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope. They're just that heavy.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Standard replacement 6 loop rim. Standard center disc. If whole thing is real heavy than tires are loaded. Unloaded they are around 200 lbs maybe a little more each tire/rim/disc assembly. anything
heavier than fluid has been added since I see no inner wheel weights.

Kirk

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A pic of the rear weights that were on my 2N when I bought it

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok thank you for the replies. Will take care if I need to remove rear wheels. R

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OEM 'N' rear rims consist of the outer wheel with a center disc to mount to the axle hub. There is no 'extra' wheel weight device attached. All 9N and 2N rear axle hubs used the same center disc, then the 8N came out with a completely different wheel hub bolt pattern and the two centers do not interchange. Center discs will interchange with the wheels however. The original early 9N came with 6-loop Rear Rims, in the 8 x 32 size. Tire size was 9 x 32. Then Ford introduced their famous "Hat Rim", still in 8 x 32, and shortly after introduced a smaller rim, the 9 x 28 Hat Rim. It now used the 10 x 28 tire. Today the 10 x 28 is sold as the 11.2 x 28 -same animal; they just measure differently now. For the N-Series Tractors, wheel weight ballast was by adding Calcium Chloride into the tubes. There were some aftermarket companies, like the one pictured, that offered solid wheel weights. Ford never made a wheel weight for the N-Series. It wasn't until the Hundred Series came out that they made and sold the famous 'pie-weights' but those were designed for use on the more rugged 600, 700, 800, and 900 models. As already mentioned, if your 9N tires are loaded with Ca Chl, or some other liquid, they will be extremely heavy. You can check if loaded by rotating the wheels around so the valve stem is on the bottom a the 6-O'Clock position, remove the cap, then press the pin in. If any liquid is in the tire, the liquid will squirt out. I use a more modern product called Rim Guard ? ? or Beet Juice because it is made from sugar beets for ballast. I have been using it since the mid-90's about when it was first released. It is guaranteed safe for ferrous materials, guaranteed not to rust. It works. Beet Juice has a weight of approximately 10 pounds per gallon. I have 27 gallons in each of my rear 11.2 x 28 Firestone work tires and have never any problems with it.

Tim Daley(MI)

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and photos of 2N wheel weights. I am in Iceland at the moment, visiting friends here who use a lot of tractors--mostly Zetor. I was curious about filling the tires with fluid, asked them about it. They said they've heard some people do it but have never filled the tires with anything but air.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: 9n Built-in wheel weights? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get the essential manuals for your N tractor. They all state how much Ca Chl to use for tire size ballast. I'd avoid the calcium chloride for reasons already mentioned -it will corrode the ferrous material once in contact with it.

FORD 9N/2N ESSENTIAL OWNERS MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters