Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Changed our hayseed order for this spring

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip d
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a 40% alfalfa mix ordered for this year and
were changing it to all grasses that are a lot more
ice tolerant. It's supposed to yield similar and will be
a little cheaper to fertilize since wellbe able to use
straight urea. They're still working out the blend so
I'm not sure what exactly is in it but it'll be a mixture
of fescues and grasses. Glad we only had 15 acres
of alfalfa mix planted this year,it's been muddy here
the last 2 days we got over an inch of rain with
close to that still to come down than there's a flash
freezing warning for this evening than very cold
tomorrow night. No more legumes for me.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really like my orchard grass for hay. Even though it matures early, instead of turning to lumber like the climax timothy does, it keeps pushing up lush green. It really helps out when you get held up by the weather.

Northvale PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I grow alfalfa/grass mix in york, county, pa. Started planting some straight grass 4 years ago to rotate out of the alfalfa. We have an invasive grass called rough stalk bluegrass that migrates into the alfalfa and really messes up the 1st cutting. We always get a 2-3 week dry spell in the summer and the alfalfa makes some great hay at those times. Too much rain, the summer weed grasses grow stalky.

Ray Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I planted a couple acres of Timothy this fall. How do I know the best time to cut it? You are saying it gets tough
quickly?

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much standing water and/or ice is on your field now?

Philip d
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everything is laying in water looks like a spring snow melt. Mud underneath still pouring rain. Wind supposed to shift and blow hard this afternoon and freeze hard overnight.

Philip d
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try to get it before it is out in head if you want the protein.

1370pwr in ne
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much regrowth do you have on the alfalfa? If it was cut short and not much regrowth I can see where it will suffocate. The grasses will also smother out the alfalfa over time.How old is the alfalfa? We rotate after the 4th or 5th year of alfalfa to corn.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grasses are fine if you get plenty of rain, as in Ireland, but if you get a dry year, you will come up very short.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ray Tractor wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:16:29 01/13/1Cool I planted a couple acres of Timothy this fall. How do I know the best time to cut it? You are saying it gets tough
quickly?

Timothy is suppose to be cut when "in the boot". That is when the seed head is just emerging from the leaves that surround it. It is not that it gets tough quickly, but when harvest is delayed and it goes past optimum stage, the stem gets very woody, and the leaf production gets slow compared to orchard grass. If you do not have a lot of ground to cover getting it at optimal time should not be a problem.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very true.

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

boot stage,50-60 percent in bloom are some of the indicators for optimum protein. As much as I strive to use those indicators, the weather window is my controlling factor. I need at least 3 good days to cut rake and bale. So no matter the protein levels I must wait on the weather. After all hay put up without having been rained on is better than cutting at the perfect time only to have it rained on in the field. My customer tells me, the cows will eat what I give them, the horses to or they'll go hungry. gobble

Philip d
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These are new medows from last year under seeded from barley. All 80 acres of 1&2 year old alfalfa we would have had last year got completely killed out last winter to the point you could barely find a couple here and there walking the fields. The fall before that the regrowth was 1-2' tall on the second year stuff and maybe 6-8" on the was new medow. I'm not trying to be a pessimist but after last summers poor crop and the mud rain and hard freezing here this weekend I'm scared what this summer may yield so I'm looking for alternatives.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forget where you are located, it is minus 6F degrees here today. Rain and mud is not a problem, alfalfa can be killed off with a sheet of ice forming and smothering it all winter, otherwise it is pretty hardy up here in Minnesota.

Would think a legume and grass blend would be easier to fertilize, need little or no N, just the P and K and if you want, micros. Without a legume you need more N. cant get away without P and K if you are hauling away hay.

But mostly it comes down to what you can sell, if your buyers want all grass hay then that is the mix to plant!

Just interesting to hear about mud and rain, it's been 2 months since we've had that. :)

Paul

Philip d
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you,we're in eastern Canada,was close to -40 in the wind here a week ago,supposed to dip down to near -20 c tomorrow,first mud we've had here on a couple months too.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters