Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hey Old

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich,

I was plowing snow this morning with our 1966 MF-135 (Continental Z-145 gas)and for some reason,i had to pull the choke 1/4" out to keep it running for 3 hrs,i've never had to do this ever....what gives? I just filled it with 93 octane and a can of seafoam...it was 8 degrees when I started it...I know it's not the cold...it's ran like a top in - 10-15 temps plenty of times.
Anyway I figured you might point me in the right direction. Thanks

Keith

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try opening up the main jet adjustment 1 or so turns out. When it is cold engines seem to like bit more gas to run well

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Likely the 93 octane is just burning too cold for that temp. The higher the octane the cooler it runs and the less power it will produce. Your engine is likely just trying to compensate for the cooler burning fuel. You should be using regular gas. That is unless you have modified your engine with higher compression, timing, and/or cam work.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why would you put 93 octane in it?

rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich,

I'll go out in a little bit and see if that helps. Thanks again!

Keith

rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Because it don't like 87

rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jon,

Back in 1966,when this tractor was built....regular leaded fuel was 93 octane,99 octane for premium and 102 octane for high or super premium. This tractor does not run well on 87 octane fuel.....trust me....lol

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way the higher octane stuff is not needed and will also cause you problems like your having. So again that leads me to having it running a bit to lean and choking it makes it run richer

rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich,

I can see I'm not gonna win the octane battle...lol But anyway, I have used 93 octane in this tractor for many years now and never had a problem....maybe that 16 oz of seafoam to 10 gallon fuel was too much?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So no science behind it.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Seafoam could have contributed. It is a flammable petroleum product, and about 25% isopropanol alcohol.

Not sure what the BTU rating of the petroleum blend is, but the alcohol is much lower than gasoline.

So, the combination of diluting the fuel with Seafoam, the ethanol already in the gas, and the cold air, (which is denser and requires more fuel to get the ratio right),and a possibility the main jet may have picked up some trash or deposits, can easily add up to the mixture needing to be adjusted.

How is the engine temperature? Thermostat may be leaking by, doesn't take much when it's that cold.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About the only advantage I could see you from the 93 octane is the fact it may not have alcohol in it. Ya to run the cheaper stuff you do need a hotter plug

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you need to adjust the carburetor a little, if that doesn't do it then it needs cleaning. According to tactordata that engine is only 7.1:1 compression ratio, there is no way it need high octane gas.

rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich,

Well you were right...I turned the main jet screw open about 3/4 turn after engine was warm...increased throttle to 1500 rpm,i stopped turning when I could hear engine smooth out,then went out and plowed for 30 minutes and with no choke it's running good again. Thank you Old and everyone for your help.

Keith

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Winter and cold temps call for more fuel. The tractor I run this time of year get the carb adjusted on them twice YEAR SOME Time more due to the weather

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters