Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Minimum wage update and issues since it came up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly my thought, the problem is what do we do with all the flunkies? We don't dig ditches by hand anymore.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The guys and gals that design, manufacture, assemble, program and maintain robotic assembly lines make a lot more than minimum wage.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have issues with some of my employees, thinking about bonusing off performance.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jocco; I work for a nation wide delivery company (LTL)
With internet sales we are delivering at least two 53' trailers to residential a day; every day within about 75 miles of New Orleans. Every terminal across the country does the same thing.
And this is just the big stuff that UPS will not haul.

We sub out all the residential deliveries.
The sub makes money because not only is he our sub he is the sub for several other companies.
More volume per square mile.

I will tell you the ONLY thing brick and mortar stores have over internet sales is inside delivery.
We do have inside delivery for a extra fee but it is called threshold service for a reason.
Once it is over the threshold and the door can be closed it is yours.

While it is true this furniture store will shift liability to another company.
He will also shift quality control such as on time delivery to the other company.

Tractorcedric
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know about minimum wage, but I would like to comment on the picture of robots building cars. Yes the robots don't get minimum wage, but I bet the crew that designs, builds, installs and maintains the robots make much more than minimum wage. I have twenty antique tractors that I use for one thing or another. If you think about it your tractor is a robot and you are the controller. That said I have seen many workers that don't do enough work to warrant minimum wages.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd like to see one of those robots (ANY robot!) wrestle a large, heavy sofa or side-by-side fridge into an old farmhouse!!

While in Arkansas, we had planned to live there for Mom's final years. Ended up buying a new sofa and loveseat. Mom passed shortly after. Hauled them back here and, what's this? They won't fit through the doorway! Not sure when it'll happen, but will have to replace one window with a much larger window, then also go through an interior wall just to get the things inside. For now, they're safely in storage....and taunting the wifey all the time!

Ah, life in wonderful. *lol*

RBoots
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You know, a lot of you guys are attacking the guy assuming he pays low wages. I don't know anything about these guys, but we all know how much of a clusterflock some people have for a setup in their floorplans. Poorly laid out, junk in the way, just plain not enough room for appliances that were installed before the finish work was done on a home. I helped my brother bring a refrigerator up his narrow, finished basement stairs with 2 landings. It was there when he bought the place, a newer home. It wasn't heavy for us, just awkward. If you think it came out without scruffing the woodwork/drywall, you'd be wrong. And then there's the people who's stuff was already scratched/dented, that will claim anything to get a deal or a lower price.

farmer boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now just imagine he hired some decent guys and paid them a decent wage. He very likely wouldn't have nearly as many problems with scratched floors and dented appliances. The people he's going to find for minimum wage don't give a crap. The problem with paying minimum wage is that you're saying. "If I could pay you less, I would, but I legally can't"
The important thing to note here is that you have to pay a decent wage to get decent employees. Decent employees are few and far between at minimum wage. The ones you do find will soon be gone because they found someone that values the fact that they're a good worker.

Ray
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think it's the wages, it's the employees that don't care and can't do anything. I bought a new refrigerator from lowes last summer. The guys that brought it had to change the door from a left hand opener to a right hand opening door. They scratched the door being careless, but I didn't say anything. They started screws crooked and half way in they got tight. I felt like taking the tools away from them and doing it myself. When finished they backed the dual wheel delivery truck into my yard and left ruts 4 inches deep. I know the local menards got rid of there delivery crew and now contract it out.

RBoots
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're right about that

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Figures like this if the pays his delivery crew more then he has to charge more to stay profitable. Business 101. Business 102, if a competitor still pays less to the employees they can sell for less! Business 103, he now goes out of business because his competitor could undersell him.

Sorry if you hired everything done on a "mom and pop" farm you'd go broke too. Fella here says he can hire help with his 80 cow herd as long as his total outlay for an employee is less than 600 a month. That don't equal a lot of labor. Raise minimum wage and it buys even less labor.

Now look at a company like Walmart. Over 2 million employees. Lets say they pay 10 and hour starting. Now they raise it to 15. 33.3%. Every other employee is going to expect a 33% raise. Guess who's paying for that raise? The customer! Even id the CEO worked for free and dumped they're entire CEO pay into employee wages it would amount to a raise of less than 10 dollars a year if the CEO is paid 20 million a year. 2X10=20. There are more than 2 million workers.

Rick

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

McDonalds is already addressing the issue. Remodeling stores and putting in ordering kiosks out front. You enter the store, punch in your order, swipe your card, and 1 of 2 guys behind the counter bags up your grub, calls your # and away you go. Elimating several counter people, don't need to have anyone to make deposits or take money to the bank, thank you idiots in California. You don't think this is gonna continue??? Where are all the college grads gonna go, no more asking "Uh you want frys with that"???

farmer boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not really. If he pays 4 guys another $3/hr, but
doesn?t have near the scratches and dings, the
extra wage is offset some by not fixing people?s
floors and discounting appliances.

JOCCO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He indicated there was lots of what you said.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage update and issues since it came up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You ain't the only one bucko. When I had to change out the fridge.
Oh boy... had to take both doors and all mounting hardware off.
Covered the fridge with movers quilts. Lastly had to remove the
kitchen door and hinges. Put down a sheet of plywood. Then with THREE
guys. The fridge actually Sqweaked comming in through the door frame.
Fun fun fun. Your sofa, can't you lift the roof off of the house. You
know, just like you would do with a Doll House. He he.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters