Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Lots of white smoke!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swankerme
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got the tractor running the other day after fixing some grounding issues and recharging the battery. I ran it lightly for about 5 minutes before I had to turn it off because it was smoking so much. Been running the tractor since last summer with no smoking problem.

It seems to be a white smoke, originating from the oil fill tube and the top of the engine block. It starts smoking after only a minute or two after being turned on. The engine block seems to be REALLY hot. I just turned it on for 4 minutes in 27 degree weather today, and it was smoking and was radiating heat.

The oil hasn't been changed since last Spring - could old/low oil cause this?

Otherwise, I believe I have to do a compression test - but I have no idea how to do this.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you have a blown head gasket.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, head gasket if you are lucky.

Unlucky, cracked head. Did you check your anti-freeze this Fall?

Minimum acceptable pressure is 90 lbs w/ the lowest pressure reading w/in 75% of the highest reading. Normally you would Run the engine to operating temp, but just do the test cold. Don't bother with a wet test; dry test is fine. Remove all 4 plugs, remove the breather hose & make sure the choke and throttle are both open. Crank it at least 5 compression strokes or until the gauge stops moving. Write down the results & post back for help figuring out what it all means.

HINT: When you remove the plugs, look for one or two which are adjacent that are 'steam cleaned'.
75 Tips

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

White smoke usually indicates water in the form of steam, black smoke indicates oil burning. Old/low oil isn't the root cause.

Tim Daley(MI)

swankerme
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Blown head gasket. Is this is an easy job for a novice? I've replaced almost everything on the tractor in the past year, but I have not touched anything on the engine.

Bruce, like I said, I have no idea how to do a compression test.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim,
If I had to id the smoke based on color I would say white = coolant, black = too rich a fuel mixture and blue = oil burning.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

swankerme wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:06:09 01/13/1Cool Blown head gasket. Is this is an easy job for a novice? I've replaced almost everything on the tractor in the past year, but I have not touched anything on the engine.

Bruce, like I said, I have no idea how to do a compression test.

Removing the head shouldn't be to difficult for you to do. If you don't have a manual for your tractor now would be a good time to get one. You will need it for torque specs. and other things.

Below is a video that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11rK9PdWnEQ

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will need to buy or borrow a compression gauge that threads into the spark plug holes and and check each cylinder reading as Bruce described.

Mark

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Diagnose the problem before you start figuring out how to fix it.

Most auto stores "rent" equipment for a deposit equal to the cost of the tool. You get it all back when you return the tool.

Get a gauge, remove the plugs and follow the instructions I already posted.

Then get back here and tell us what you found.

You will need to buy the manuals. See tip # 39.

If it is the head gasket, remove the hood (tip # 12) then remove the head. Replace the gasket, replace the head, torque the bolts or nuts to spec.

It's a little more to it than that, so ask for more specifics when you post back w/ the results of the compression test.
75 Tips

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the most part these guys don't know either... Diagnostics is not there strong suite if it were they would be asking you questions to define the problem and not assuming you have a head gasket issue... There bad habits will probably never be broken Sad... Even if you have a head gasket issue that leaked a little coolant I doubt a compression test would revile it enoufh to make a proper diagnoses... Forget it did and focus on it did not were do we go next after he's broke the seal on the head gasket. He's going in, in the blind he's blind everyone's blind its often too late at this point to determine exactly were the problem lie's are what caused the problem...

Make me believe his description of smoke it steam... Oil smoke can be white. Tho harder at 27 deg to determine normal condensation steam there is a difference between oil smoke and steam... Smoke lingers steam dissipates...

I understand smoke out oil fill tube I don't understand smoke out top of engine top of engine.

If the system is full of coolant even with the fan belt off is it possible at 27 deg to get the block that hot in 4 min.

I spec i would have to at the least confirm it has coolant in it while at it check coolant condition...While at it make sure the belt is in place and functioning. He said low oil it would not hurt to fill it to full, a qt low notcher problem, 2 qt low notcher problem not touching the stick a problem...

pinball
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say if you ran it for 4 minutes and it got that hot you need to check your antifreeze. if the engine doesn't get the proper heating effect through out the motor and just parts of the motor does it causes an imbalance of heat swelling and would cause this. maybe you have some ice in your block or head. I would definetley fix that problem first then go from there. I have had this happen to me first hand.

Tall T
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo wrote:

"Make me believe his description of smoke it steam... Oil smoke can be white. Tho harder at 27 deg to determine normal condensation steam there is a difference between oil smoke and steam... Smoke lingers steam dissipates..."

I agree. People are quick to say that white is steam, oil is blue, whatever, but in my experience white that is almost like ford grey paint and darker, but still on the white side is oil smoke.

I rebuilt a Ford 6 complete in 1978. It was billowing out white smoke and I told the guy his top rings might be broken. They were. When I took it apart the top rings on every piston were in pieces.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-pinball wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:39:21 01/14/1Cool I would say if you ran it for 4 minutes and it got that hot you need to check your antifreeze. if the engine doesn't get the proper heating effect through out the motor and just parts of the motor does it causes an imbalance of heat swelling and would cause this. maybe you have some ice in your block or head. I would definetley fix that problem first then go from there. I have had this happen to me first hand.

I think you are on to something. If the antifreeze is week it most likely is frozen. Frozen coolent dose not circulate in the block causing the engine to overheat.

swankerme, if the antifreeze is frozen it will take several hours for it to completely thaw out. Also take a look at your spark plugs. If coolent is getting into a combustion chamber that spark plug will be cleaner than the rest.

swankerme
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, so I got the compression tester, and before running the test I was going to top off the coolant to make sure it stays cool. I started pouring it in, and after about half a gallon, the antifreeze started leaking like a sieve out of the starter. The radiator won't hold any antifreeze. Why would it be leaking from the engine block?

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of white smoke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

swankerme wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:43:38 01/30/1Cool Okay, so I got the compression tester, and before running the test I was going to top off the coolant to make sure it stays cool. I started pouring it in, and after about half a gallon, the antifreeze started leaking like a sieve out of the starter. The radiator won't hold any antifreeze. Why would it be leaking from the engine block?

sounds like u have a cracked block.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters