Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been looking at those block grabbers that have a hose with hooks on each end. I want something for those in between blocks, 10-18" diameter that I can lift and set on the splitter.
Built this tool this afternoon from 1" square tubing. and some more scraps. The commercial grabbers are length specific and one would need a couple of them if cutting different lengths of firewood. This one is adjustable, and has a trigger to open and close the jaws. Tomorrow I will weld a rod loop under the bottom to hold it up off the block and protect my knuckles. My hand fits easily around the tubing and it is easy to squeeze the trigger with my palm and thumb to hook and release blocks.
Loren

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looks good to me. I'm cheap here and just use an old set of ice tongs.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also take a look at a brick caddy. Or brick carrier. 5hey can be adjusted from maybe six bricks to twelve at one time. I have three types. They are on Ebay as brick carriers. The design might give you some ideas. Really handy when you are laying a sidewalk. I wrapped a layer of buttle tape around the handle on mine to cusion it a little.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like it. I used my store bought ones this week. They are limited to certain lengths.
Richard

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can lift an 18" log that length you are a real man.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How are you getting along with it?? Does it release as well as they say???
I still have a couple of issues to remedy today with this thing. The washer on the end of the trigger can pinch my palm between it and frame, and I need to weld a loop on the bottom to protect my knuckles, and keep my hand centered on the tool. I will post a pic of the finished product.
I need to stop building this stuff. Running out of handy places to stow it on my portable firewood rig. HeHe.
Loren

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be about a 60 pounder. I can still lift them. I have to use the jib and grapple to lift the 100 pounders. I don't need to bend down near as far and get my fingers under the bottoms to lift blocks with this. Bending over and lifting these smaller blocks that need splitting from ground level is the real issue, that this should solve.
Loren

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was one design that I pondered, but the handle over the top of the bar, would have been a bit higher to get the block up onto the splitter bed and this gives me a bit more range of bite, without adjustments.
Just my over active analytical mind at work HeHe.
They used to make battery carriers like that also.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really like it. It saves my back from hurting. I haven't been able to bend over very much in years.
I have had no problems with it releasing.
It is also very comfortable in my hand.
Richard

David Snipes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think we will have to change your handle to: Adirondack Firewood King. You are the most prepared firewood guy I've ever seen.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you see firewood sometimes in your dreams? lol

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jim in Ma. wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:33:12 01/13/1Cool
looks good to me. I'm cheap here and just use an old set of ice tongs.

I'm cheaper, and just use my hands.

olgentdc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Whipped Together Another Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lol...so glad most batteries now have handles ,,.i like too the tool you made ,. i have stuff i can make it from around here ,.. but for now, i cut wood so as to leave a handle on the block that eases handling

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters