Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Trailer lights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Update well it took a long time only been able to
work on this project a little bit each day but I finally
got all the wire pulled and got both stop tail and turn
signals working now I just need to wire in the side
marker lights and this project will be done

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ringo approves

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have replaced the lights on my tandem flatbed a few times but the main harness and conduit need to be renewed. The conduit got beat nearly flat by the springs running heavy. Where it is not flat it is gone from rust.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The conduit on this one is actually the trailer frame work and it
is in good shape I Will wrap the wire coming from the junction
box with wire loom and clean up a few loose ends it will be nice
to have this thing done

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and get rid of that junction box and unsealed crimp on connectors. Solder and heat shrink every connection. You will rarely have a light or brake problem if you can keep the water out of the wires. Also don't waste your money on those replacement style trailer connectors, use a molded pigtail style. A dry harness is a happy harness.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably 15 years ago I reconnected some light wires on my SEVERE SERVICE snowmobile trailer with some wire nuts that had a little plastic cover on the opening that the wires slip through, with some kind of paste inside. Well, a week ago I opened one up because the light wasn't working. The problem turned out to be the ground, and the wire nut was still in perfectly good condition so I reused it. Quick and easy and good for long term.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only molded pigtail I could find was 6 feet long which is about 3 feet to short I am going to liquid tape all the connections I used the boxes because I did not want a bunch of sloppy connections and it give you to places to check for power and find the problem with light or circuit all the semi trailers I?ve worked on have them and it makes it nice to find and fix a problem if there ever is one

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think as long as you can seal it up good anything
would work ok a wire nut might even be better than
a butt splice it seems like that?s where the bad
connection is at the butt splice whenever I have to
use a butt splice I fill it up with die electric grease

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Brian and will add to use split loom where the wiring goes through metal.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why does everybody seem to use individual wires for these jobs, when the whole thing can be done with the old 4or 7 wire harness, and not have to worry about water and other contaminates getting in the harness. Those lights with the replaceable 1157 bulbs are junk also. The sealed lights with the rubber grommets last the longest with the least maintenance. Been on my trailers for over 20 years. Some maybe the originals though I would doubt it.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-caterpillar guy wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:46:55 02/07/1Cool Why does everybody seem to use individual wires for these jobs, when the whole thing can be done with the old 4or 7 wire harness, and not have to worry about water and other contaminates getting in the harness. Those lights with the replaceable 1157 bulbs are junk also. The sealed lights with the rubber grommets last the longest with the least maintenance. Been on my trailers for over 20 years. Some maybe the originals though I would doubt it.

I think that most of us don't have the time to replace the whole harness every time that a little repair is needed. I am still on all of my original harnesses, but I have replaced a lot of lights. One trailer is going to get a new harness soon but it will be in new conduit as well

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This light box has been on my trailer for 15 years seems to be doing a fine job

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ran 4 wire from the trailer plug to the junction box and from there down through the frame then a length of four wire from the second box to the left taillight the right tail light has single wires to it these are the rubber mounted tailight I would never put steal mounted lights on anything

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters