Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rininger85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, I have my dad's Ford NAA Jubilee for a while and trying to figure out what just happened to it... The tractor has been sitting on our property in TN since my dad bought it several years ago... A couple years ago someone broke into our garage we built for storing the tractor and stole it... It was gone for 2 years but this summer the police found it and dad got it back. He didn't want to leave it sitting on the property to get stolen again so I brought it home to MI to use it for pushing snow for the winter since he has no use or place to store it where he lives in FL...

The tractor has had no problem starting up until now... Pull the choke push the starter button it fires right up no problems. Well I get it back to MI and find out that the sluggish hydraulics are even worse in freezing temperatures which we rarely had in TN any time we we're using it down there... I checked the hydraulic fluid and they looked like baby poo. So I drained them and refilled them. Hydraulics worked good til I parked it, went out the next time and they wouldn't work even after letting it run half an hour or so to warm up... Pull the dipstick fluids look crappy again, Ok so maybe it's a shared sump with the transmission... Look at trans fluids yup crappy... Drain both reservoirs and refill... Put air in through the dipstick to pressurize the system and get hydraulic pump primed... Everything works good.

So now that it's working I decided to take it for a drive out back... I knew I had not closed the windows on my hunting blind for the year yet so drove out to do that instead of walking... Tractor idles fine while I'm doing that, get back on it and decided I would use the blade to knock down weeds to make a nicer walkway to get back there, lowered the blade but kept it just above dirt so I wouldn't be dragging dirt.. drove back towards house, get to edge of the yard and the whole front end of the tractor shakes like crazy and stalls out. It shook hard enough that the wire to the alternator pulled out of the connector. I push the wire back in figuring I'll address that with a proper wire/connector later.... Try starting the tractor and it just cranks nonstop without trying to fire.

I added more gas because I know when the gas gets to a certain point it doesn't feed right even though you can still see gas in the tank... Not the issue.... The fan is spinning so it's turning over fine... I decided to pull the distributor cap off and turned it over and the rotor does not move.

I pulled the distributor out and the gear looks fine, and what I can see in the distributor hole looks fine... But I think this has to be the problem no spark because the distributor doesn't turn. So now I'm looking for guidance to what I need to do next...my thought is it had to have broke a timing gears or something otherwise the distributor would turn... What should I do next... Pull the oil pan to look for broken parts?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The gear on the distributor is held on with a pin. Did the pin shear?
That could let the gear turn without the rotor turning.

What part of Michigan are you in? I'm in Ionia County.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The shaking sounds catastrophic to me. Try removing the plugs and checking with a screw driver for the pistons coming up to top. If they are all coming up, check compression.

rininger85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm between Charlotte and Eaton Rapids.

I checked the distributor gear, grabbed the end of the shaft that turns the oil pump with a pair of pliers then tried turning the distributor gear to see if the pin sheared, doesn't seem to have because I can't turn it without turning the whole shaft.

I took a screw driver and was able to turn the oil pump freely (my father in law thought maybe it was binding up could have sheared the pin in the distributor too).

I decided to say the heck with timing and decided to crank the engine over while the distributor was out... The gear that should drive the distributor did not move while the fan was spinning, so to me that means the cam is not moving when the crank moves, so I'm thinking whichever gear is driven off the crank to drive the cam is broke.

Can you access the cam to replace gears without pulling the engine? It sounds like no fun trying to pull the engine, I probably don't have adequate tools here to remove the front end (cherry picker... I would have to try and block the tractor up and use a chain fall from the rafters to try and pull the front end off if I have to)... Would probably be a better/safer bet for me to haul it up to my father in laws up in the thumb but he usually has enough of his own projects going on in his shop so I don't really want to drop this on him if I can get to the cam with it in the tractor?

rininger85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll try finding my compression tester next time I go out there.

WayneIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is time to put a jack under the transmission, take off the hood, radiator, front axle and support and replace the timing gears .BTDT

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From your description, I'd have to agree with Wayne.
It's not that bad of a job with the right tools.
Shoot me an email, maybe we can work out a weekend
to do at my place. I have a heated shop and some spare
parts around if needed too.

rininger85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys, first chance I've had to do anything with the tractor this morning. I have pulled the hood, radiator, fan, and broke all of the bolts loose for the timing cover but looking like I need to split the axle apart before I can go any farther. Once I got the hood off it doesn't seem quite so big of a deal to split the axle off, so I think I will go ahead and try.

One question I have right now is it looks like the rod that comes forward from the carb the arm that runs down and goes in the side by the crank will need to come off. I don't find any cotter pins or anything holding it in place, does this just pry off? I don't want to get forceful and break it.

I think I've probably scraped five pounds of grease and oil off so far to get to the bolts. Not sure if that means it's got a bad gasket someplace or if it's just 70 years of accumulation.

rininger85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Royse, I'm going to see if I can manage checking a couple of the easier things first but will keep it in mind if I get in above my head.

Trying to post pictures but not figuring it out from my phone

Tall T
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor trivia:

Your 1954 ford is simply an NAA

Only the 1953 is the Jubilee NAA

I have one as well. Smile

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're welcome rininger85. They're fun to figure out and learn about.
If you do need a hand, give me a shout. We're less than an hour apart.
Obviously all the folks on this board will help long distance as well.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take lots of pictures ringer... I would love to see what's wrong inside the front of the engine

Tall T
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rin,

Now all you have to do it call your tractor an NAA
and everyone here instantly knows it's a '54 !

If you said NAA Jubilee it would be a toss up

Good thing you threw in the "1954" to cinch the matter. Razz

T

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rininger85 wrote:
One question I have right now is it looks like the rod that comes forward from the carb the arm that runs down and goes in the side by the crank will need to come off. I don't find any cotter pins or anything holding it in place, does this just pry off?

The rod has a spring loaded cap, just push away from the rod to remove it from the ball on the throttle arm.

rininger85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ford NAA Jubilee died need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys unfortunately I haven't had a chance to make any progress on this. I'm hoping to get back to it... Where I'm stuck right now is I can't seem to figure out how to get the timing cover off. I just realized looking at pictures I may need to drop two bolts out of the oil pan that appear to attach to the timing cover, but I was thinking I would have to take the axle off and then pull the pulley off the crankshaft before I could pull the timing cover off but just talking to my dad as he looks at the book it sounds like some had a two piece cover and others had a one piece cover. Sounds like the difference is 4 bolts vs 5 bolts but counting holes I've taken dozens of bolts out of the cover so not sure which 4v5 bolts they are talking about. Does anyone have a picture of which bolts or where the cover splits if it is a 2 piece cover? Do I really need to take the axle off to get the crankshaft pulley off of it's a one piece cover?

Thanks!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters