Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Massey 300

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjbofmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If was going but a Massey
Ferguson 300 combine what would
I be looking for problem areas?
Places to check out to see if
it's any good. It's 1000
dollars. Gas engine. I 've
never been around a combine
before.

Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has been a long time since we had one, but I do remember replacing the exhaust manifold that was cracked in several places. You could almost read a newspaper at night from the reddish-orange glow of the manifold.

pjbofmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lol

Young Mechanic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the basics of coarse you know, tires, runs good, leaks, welds, has it been stored inside, etc. Look at bearings if they have red paint on them they have probably not been changed. The problem most masseys have is the unloading auger tubes get wore out and rust out, then they leak grain. Be sure and look at the unloading auger tube under the hooper. Auger leaks can be fixed usually, just takes time.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That seems to be a common problem with the industrial 225s.

jwmfarms
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My father worked at a Massey and Oliver dealership from '59 to '68. They sold a lot of gas tractors and combines back then. He sold a 300 gas to the fellow that was renting our farm at the time. That combine never had anything but Amoco high test gas through it. It never ran hot, cracked a manifold, burnt a valve, or needed the muffler replaced. Those that ran regular gas kept the parts counter and shop busy with those repairs.

pjbofmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah far as I know slant sixes are bullet proof

3020G
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are who I think you are, of the area of princeton. I'm Dan's son in law you can text or call me. I work for MF dealer and I've seen several 300's.

pjbofmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have your info

3020G
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

765-341-0916

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you"ve never been around a combine before, there are way better options than to buy a Massey. Yes, they are a good machine, produce a good sample, but others are way easier to work on. Especially Gleaners, also JD 45/55/ and IH 15 series, although they have burn issues from
bursting oil hoses. Gleaner K,F,F2,M, etc....way better for a beginner.

pjbofmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe I'll keep an eye out for gleaner and skip the 300. But the 300 was cheap and near home

3020G
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

300’ s are tough little machines. They can be very reliable or junk. The gas burners run best on a 3 narrow or 2 wide head. The way I remeber is a 300 is like a 410 when it comes to headers. It could have been built two ways, with quick attach heads like a modern combine. Or where the feederhouse is part of the head. The latter being hard to find heads if you need to switch them out. Biggest thing to watch on a 300 I think is check the straw walker blocks, auger pans, auger flightig, throat chain tightness, check the cylinder shaft, also check your teeth on your gears if they are short and stubby it’s junk. You’ll spend more making it run than it’s worth if bearings are shot or sprockets. Belts I would watch, especially big flat belts. Other than that it’s just s piece of equipment. If it’s got a chopper on it I’d take it off if I was going to run corn.

pjbofmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hay thanks

pjbofmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How would I know if it's quick
attach or not

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters